EVO records in 3GP..how to convert

Last Updated:

1. tmaxey1

tmaxey1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So i have been recording a good amount of pool side videos in 720p on my EVO. I usually home movies through my western digital tv box with all my movies loaded on portable hard drives. So today i decide to take some movies from my phone to the hard drive and i realized that the phone records in 3gp. Why 3gp? That may be an old cell phone format but its not what todays 720p movies really record in.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a conversion software or file type to convert these movies. It seems kind of useless to record movies that can only be watched back on a computer.

And i know its not a canon hidef camcorder that cost over 1k. Its a cell phone.

Advertisement
  2. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

teslafied, drexappeal and tmaxey1 like this.
  4. tmaxey1

tmaxey1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Great info guys. This is the type of contributions that make this board great. Even with all the bickering and back and forth that goes on.

Thanks again. Its much appreciated.

EarlyMon likes this.
  5. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

So you're saying there's no transcoding going on there? Lilke from .mp3 to .ogg?

6. EarlyMon

That's what I'm saying. With MPEG Streamclip, the conversion from 3gp to mp4 file containers is roughly little more than the time it takes to click OK.

Note the minor change in file size - I also scanned the files with hexdump looking for more comparisons, but got bored.

MPEG4-file-container-comparison.jpg

Note that the .mp4 file container, aka MPEG4 Part 14, can hold various codecs - some believe that it's only for H.264, and that's not so.

A .ogg file, when used for audio, usually contains Vorbis or FLAC codec formats (yeah, a few others) - whereas, so far as I know, .mp3 files only contains the mp3 (MPEG1 audio layer 3) codec format.

Wrongepedia is helpful on this:

Comparison of container formats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry, would've answered sooner, but I'm still getting a kick out of RemoteDroid - I've been re-watching season 1 of Bab5 on slashcontrol. ;)

Man, I loves me my Evo - surfing around on my HTPC has never been easier.

PS - Actual bitrate on both was 5913.40 kbps and audio was mono @ 8 KHz.

PPS - The modification date on the second one to today was to reset the default pgm on my .mp4 files from MPEG Streamclip to QuickTime - I forgot that I had changed that the other day. That caused another 140 byte file header change - welcome to my operating system. ;P

Evo_Pimpin likes this.
  7. EarlyMon

Oh - I should probably mention this - with MPEG Streamclip, when you're transcoding stuff, you can also adjust Brightness, Contrast, Saturation and audio volume.

I've been using it to move MPEG-2 video from my captured TV stuff into H.264 for distributing around the house.

It's really my Swiss Army knife for video conversion work.

8. skinnyguy

skinnyguy Well-Known Member

....try renaming? pretty sure it works...

9. EarlyMon

Negative. That only works when the app reads the header, recognizes it, ignores that you've mucked with the name, and can support opening a 3gp container.

That's very platform specific and pathological at that.

10. Evo_Pimpin

Evo_Pimpin Well-Known Member

Subscribed for the great info. Thanks EarlyMon.