• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Evo stuck in boot loop from TWRP v2.7.1.0

Greetings to all.

I am not new to rooting, but it has been a while since I have rooted, and that was 2 years ago with the og evo. The rooting process have appeared to change up a bit since I was last on this site. I decided to root my EVO 4g LTE after a year and a half of having it.

I unlocked the bootloader using the HTC dev method, it went smooth. To obtain s-off, I attempted rumrunner. Everything went fine until I got an error with rumrunner. I then tried the windroid toolkit, flashed TWRP (v2.7.1.0) which was a success. When I flashed superuser, it rebooted me to recovery to flash the zip file "superuser.zip" which I could not find in any folder on the SD or internal. I looked everywhere on this forum and on XDA and found the supersu zip file. I tried flashing a couple versions of the supersu (1.25, 2.01) but no luck. Once I got onto my laptop and connected the phone, I then found the "superuser.zip" that windroid flashed on my SD, put it on the root on my SD card and tried that as well.

For every one I attempted to flash, I would get the message that said successful but no s-off. After confirming the flash, it would say "flashing file 1 of 1", but then switch to saying "flashing file 1 of 0". In the box over the word "successful", it appears to be incomplete maybe, it says:

"Updating partition details...
Full SELinux support is present.
Installing 'external_sd/Superuser.zip'...
Checking for MD5 file...
Skipping MD5 check: no MD5 file found
Installing Superuser...
Installing armeabi binaries...
Updating partition details..."

I tried flashing these zip files many times, but no success. The last flash I did and rebooted, it started being stuck in a boot loop, going from the HTC splash screen to rebooting. I was able to get back into the bootloader by pressing and holding the power button down (like doing a hard reboot when the phone is powered up) in order to power it all the way down, then proceeding to the vol down + power to access the bootloader.

If there's anyone that has experienced this, or knows how to reverse this, your assistance is very much appreciated. I would like to get this reversed and possibly be steered the right way to achieve s-off. I've looked in the forums for this problem but haven't seen anything that is recently and according to these versions of software.

Additional information that may help:

*** Tampered ***
*** Unlocked ***
Jewel PVT SHIP S-ON RL
Hboot - 2.09.0000
Radio - 1.13.11.0830
OpenDSP - v31.1.0.45.0815
eMMC-boot
Oct 18 2012

I also accepted the last OTA which was about a couple months or so ago, I believe it was the 3.17.651.5.

Thanks for any help.

Never mind, I fixed the problem! The zip file I flashed before the boot loop was actually a rom from the sticky on this forum. The kernel had to be flashed first, which I did through fastboot and the command line. After that, I rebooted into recovery and did a wipe of the dalvik cache, system, cache and data, then flashed the rom. Although I am still s-on, I got it back up and running. Now to get s-off.

Mods, you can either delete this thread or keep it to assist others with the same problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones