• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Exporting contacts to sd card?

Hi, I have exported my contacts (500+) to my sd card, it went through exporting 1,2,3...10....500 until all were exported. I then uploaded the vcard file to my computer but when I opened it in outlook 2010 it only contained 1 contact? The file was about 66kb.
Why was there only one contact in the file? Syncing with outlook was a disaster and corrupted all my contacts on my htc. I just want all my contacts in a safe place on my pc.

Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Fergus

I am having exactly the same problem - I had 533 contacts and every time I tried to export all contacts to the SD it looked like all contacts were being exported, and then when you go to open the vcf file, there is only one contact (the first one from my Contacts list when in alphabetical order). I tried this more than a dozen times, I tried reducing the number of contacts on my phone to 490, to no avail! I tried exporting via Bluetooth, email, the same thing keeps happening.

I downloaded the VCardIO app and tried to export that way, the same thing happened - still just one contact in the vcf file.

I can't see any other way of exporting my contacts since when I try to sync with my Googlemail account it starts to replace what's on my phone with what's on Googlemail, or delete contacts on my phone which aren't on Googlemail. I am not a techie and have run out of options!!!

Somebody help, please!

HTC Magic user
Android version 2.2.1

Upvote 0
I found this irritating that no one posted a solution as I just had to sit here and figure it out. This is what I did:

I had linked accounts that spread out from Google and Linkedn. I don't use Facebook so other social media maybe involved in your personal situation. The best way to go about this is for every social network you have, you will need to export your contacts from their prespective sites for your accounts. Now, once you grab your CSV files or VCF files (stuck with this on phone only contacts) and (Andriod appears to only do VCF which was annoying to say the least, but Google recognizes the multi-records in the VCF, Outlook just sucks when it comes to this). Login to your Google account (which ever one is your main account) and import each of the vcf and csv files into your contacts. Now your going to get duplicates, but no biggie because in More option in Google where you had to export, there is a Find Duplicates and Merge Option, this is an FN life saver. Once this is all done, you should have a clean list to export into a CSV so stupid a$$ Outlook will take them. I deleted all my Outlook contacts to import my new clean Google CSV file in Outlook format (PC format basically). That last part is up to you but I got stuck with some duplicates b/c once again, Outlook is stupid.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones