• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook in "Phone" Contacts solved

Tiny65

Nov 23, 2010
Like a lot of others on this forum we've all had issues with accidentally syncing Facebook with our phones and then being stuck with the FB contacts in our "Phone" list. After many conversations with HTC and searching the forums I was unable to come up with a satisfactory answer. So I played with it and here is the steps to clean the phone.

1. MOST IMPORTANT STEP, Save your contacts. I exported them to the SD card.

2. Menu> Settings> Applications> Manage Applications> All> Contacts Storage

3. Clear Data (This will erase all your contacts under "People" and "Phone")

4. Import your contacts.

NO MORE FACEBOOK CONTACTS!

Only issue I had was my contact information I had to retype it all in. Small price to pay to get rid of all those FB Contacts.... All other contacts work as they did before no other issues.....

Hope this helps....:D

Yea, I was so aware of this when I set my phone up, that I only ask facebook to sync my existing contacts.. HAHA... thank god I am not in that situation.

but good hint none the less :D

Edit: I think the FB sync got a bug... LOL... it was working but now when I select sync only contact list it sync everything. Stupid FB app...

Do you know where we can report bugs for facebook?

Upvote 0
Like a lot of others on this forum we've all had issues with accidentally syncing Facebook with our phones and then being stuck with the FB contacts in our "Phone" list. After many conversations with HTC and searching the forums I was unable to come up with a satisfactory answer. So I played with it and here is the steps to clean the phone.

4. Import your contacts.

Only issue I had was my contact information I had to retype it all in. Small price to pay to get rid of all those FB Contacts.... All other contacts work as they did before no other issues.....

This worked for me thanks! I didn't have to manually add anything because all the contacts I want to keep are stored in my google contacts. I have those set to automatically sync.

Using HTC Hero

Upvote 0
Hi

Just wondering how this works exactly. After getting my Exchange Sync working and getting all my contacts, calendar and emails onto the phone, I somehow managed to sync the phone with the PC as well and so have contacts and calendar entries duplicated, but not email. Contacts are shown as Exchange Sync and Phone. Calendar entries, e.g. St Patrick's day, are shown as Exchange Sync and PC Outlook.

I suspect that this happened when I first connected the phone to the PC and tried to configure HTC Sync. Unfortunately, you don't seem to be able to get into the settings until the phone is connected and by the time the settings have been changed and saved, the damage has been done.

I'm not too fussed about the calendar entries but the contacts issue is a nightmare. I'm all too well aware that if I simply delete the "phone" entries then the delete action will be remembered and so if for any reason I need to rebuild the PC or get a new one then the first time I connect the phone all the delete actions will sync across to Outlook and then to Exchange and I'll lose all the contacts.

I therefore need some method of removing the contact information without setting up a pending delete action. Under Windows Mobile this would not have been possible because everything to do with syncing the phone was left to Windows XP Sync and information could be set to sync with either Outlook or Exchange Server but not both. Moving from one to the other was a two stage process in that you first have to remove the current sync action which resulted in all the email etc being deleted. Once this was done then you could set up the new sync and get everything back.

I am hoping then that the action described in this thread will do just that, simply clear all the contacts out which can then be resync'd with Exchange to get just those copies back on the phone. A similar setting could then be used to get the calendar entries back.

Can anyone verify this please?

Many thanks - Paul

Upvote 0

4. Import your contacts.

Hi only just got my HTC desire HD and have done just that with face book could you tell me hoe to save my contacts to my sd card so i can do the clean up please thanks. :)

Upvote 0
Hey.

Look for a program called "Contact Remover" ;

Contact Remover for Android | AppBrain.com

"Small tool to let you delete multiple contacts. Select one, many, or all. Search to identify contacts to delete.

Touch to show contact details in app to help you decide which contacts to delete. Search works across all contact information (name, company, address, etc.).

*** For more features such as select by account, copy, move, and merge, see Contact Remover Plus!

NOTE: May not show or delete Facebook contacts depending on phone.

*** Please email me if you have any problems, questions or suggestions. We developers CANNOT RESPOND to comments left as feedback in the market-google just doesn't give us any way to do it, so please email us!

Recent changes:
* Bug fixes.

Latest version: 11 (for Android version 2.1 and higher)"

This little app worked well for me, allows you to remove duplicates as well as see specific contact groups such as FB ones to delete them only :D

Ian

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones