• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook update 12-14-09

I hate how whenever I need to read a message or reply to something or confirm or whatever it seems to always just launch the browser and take me to the mobile Facebook site anyway which is the worst option of the bunch anyway. I prefer the full site or Touch version to the mobile version so for me that's the biggest issue with the stock Facebook app. Just seems like more of a shortcut for the mobile web which I can't stand.

Upvote 0
Having a couple of issues with this app and contact sync. First, I can't figure out how to "unhide" a FB contact after inadvertently hiding it. This has been since day one with my Droid.

Second, since this update, I've noticed that every FB contact has five links to the FB profile. I can't find a way to clear that up, either.

Anybody else have either of these issues? Anybody solve them?

Upvote 0
Anyone notice that with the update the size of the app seems to keep getting bigger with use?

There is no cache to clear but the data seems to keep growing. With precious internal memory allotment, this really bothers me and I'm not sure what to do other than uninstall and reinstall occasionally.

This is my biggest concern. Someone advised me that I would need to root my phone and move my applications to the sd card. That will solve the problem and actually increase the performance of the phone.

I have an HTC Droid Eris and I've been looking for rooting information, but not sure I can find the proper instructions. I'm too new to the Android OS.

Upvote 0
This is my biggest concern. Someone advised me that I would need to root my phone and move my applications to the sd card. That will solve the problem and actually increase the performance of the phone.

I have an HTC Droid Eris and I've been looking for rooting information, but not sure I can find the proper instructions. I'm too new to the Android OS.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't been done yet with the Eris. It will be soon though!

Upvote 0
I haven't gotten my Droid yet, but when I do, I plan on just using the Facebook app to sync my contacts. The touch.facebook site seems so much better, unfortunately.

I do like the touch site too, but there has been several times when the feed was several hours behind. The updated "Facebook for Android" app has been pretty solid. I guess i'll just have to uninstall & then reinstall every once in awhile until there's a solution.

Upvote 0
Got to say this facebook for android update is an improvement , Can't wait to see if they integrate chat into it :)

Agreed!

...and notifications for messages, wall posts, and comments. That's all I would need. I would like my icon to show when a notification is awaiting (i think blackberry does this).

Until then, I will have to rely on gmail notifications from Facebook.

Upvote 0
I found that the update doesn't crash as often as the original, the original would crash on links. For example there is a facebook user called 'Droid' who posts android/droid related things and the old app it would crash when trying to go to one of his links. The new app fixed this by just going to his profile instead of following the link so I have to use the touch.facebook link in the browser to follow anything.
I've found that both methods get behind sometimes, usually when one is behind the other won't so I always have to check both to make sure I have the most up to date info.
I wish they would allow rotating of pictures from either, I'll take a picture and upload it then see its sideways, of course I can't tell on the droid since it auto rotates. Then I have t wait until i get home to get on the main facebook web site from a computer before I can rotate.

Also, both my original and the update list my updates as "facebook mobile" but other peoples I see "facebook for android" How can I make mine say facebook for android intead of just mobile?

Upvote 0
I found that the update doesn't crash as often as the original, the original would crash on links. For example there is a facebook user called 'Droid' who posts android/droid related things and the old app it would crash when trying to go to one of his links. The new app fixed this by just going to his profile instead of following the link so I have to use the touch.facebook link in the browser to follow anything.
I've found that both methods get behind sometimes, usually when one is behind the other won't so I always have to check both to make sure I have the most up to date info.
I wish they would allow rotating of pictures from either, I'll take a picture and upload it then see its sideways, of course I can't tell on the droid since it auto rotates. Then I have t wait until i get home to get on the main facebook web site from a computer before I can rotate.

Also, both my original and the update list my updates as "facebook mobile" but other peoples I see "facebook for android" How can I make mine say facebook for android intead of just mobile?

If I update my status from the app, I always notice the "facebook for android".

One thing I have noticed on the touch.facebook.com site is that people who update from the "facebook for android" app don't get listed in the live news feed. Strange because if you check from a computer, the android updates are listed. It's only the touch site that doesn't pick them up.

edit: i think this is common for Iphone updates as well.

Upvote 0
i hate how whenever i need to read a message or reply to something or confirm or whatever it seems to always just launch the browser and take me to the mobile facebook site anyway which is the worst option of the bunch anyway. I prefer the full site or touch version to the mobile version so for me that's the biggest issue with the stock facebook app. Just seems like more of a shortcut for the mobile web which i can't stand.

amen!

Upvote 0
does it take some great technological feat to be able to make an app that allows you access to your messages in facebook? I could simply care less about the other hundred functions of facebook. I want to check my messages and I think it's crummy that i have to settle for a bookmark to the site while "other" smart phones already have it.

So I want to know, is it really that difficult? Perhaps I could hire a dev to make an app for it and sell it on the market? How many others would be interested in something like this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones