• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Factory reset for Update, "Full Backup" ?

Dezarius

Lurker
Jul 13, 2011
Okay so here goes. I got my first Smartphone (HTC Desire HD) back in March, and haven't gotten any update notification since, nor does it find any on manual check. I went to a local store and asked, he claimed I should register on htc and I would be able to download the update(s). Nope, all that htc.com offered was that you could check on the phone and if an update becomes available you should be able to get it.

I contacted htc and they said something must be blocking my phone from updates, so I should try a factory reset. Well it seems fairly likely that this will solve the issue, what else could prevent me from getting updates. Anyway, my real question is this;

With a factory reset I assume I'll loose configured settings, SMS, contacs, apps, bookmarks and so on. What would be the best way going about this, to save as much as possible or at least the stuff that will go away on factory reset. I would really appreciate it as I have finally (after well, since march) configured and figured out this "smart" phone to my liking, yeah I'm slow.

I'd hate to loose everything now and as I can't handle frustration when it comes to technology I'd rather it be a smooth process if possible. I just want to factory reset so I can get the latest update, and save as much as possible.

Thanks in advance fellow Androideers (is that what we're called ?). :)

If you set your phone to backup to google when you set it up, all the important stuff should automatically be restored after the reset. I have reset my phone a few times and sms, contacts, apps, bookmarks, and calender were all restored after I signed back into my google account.

If you sign into the android market on your pc and then select my account at the top you should be able to see if your contacts and calender and so on are backed up there.

Also, where did you buy your phone? What network are you on? Is your phone branded or unbranded?

Reactions: HTC foot
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones