Factory reset now deletes all your photos!!!General

1. truelove79

truelove79 Well-Known Member

GRRRRR!!! Because the Gnex has no SD card and the internal memory is just one partition, doing a factory reset wipes all your photos and music and anything else you've saved. On all previous Android phones (that has SD cards) doing a factory reset didn't touch any of your data files (photos, music, documents, etc.). That is kind of sucky!! :mad:

Advertisement
    :
    jkc120 likes this.
  2. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

I read that it doesn't do that if you do a factory reset, unlike when unlocking the bootloader. I guess that person was wrong.

I've also read that if you factory reset using clockwork recovery it won't touch the sd card partition.
  3. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I've done over a dozen resets (everytime I flash a new rom) and it hasn't deleted any of my pics or music
  4. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

I don't know about a factory reset, but unlocking absolutely, 100% deletes EVERYTHING!
    Crashumbc likes this.
  5. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

This is not correct.

Nobody would be able to ROM their phone if this were the case, because the ROM is stored on the SD card.

I am sorry that whatever you did to your phone wiped your sdcard, but making incorrect thread titles is just going to mislead other people. If you'd like to post up what you did, we might be able to help figure out why it happened.

Having the partition on the internal memory does not, IN ANY WAY, prevent the phone from leaving the SD card intact during a factory reset. Partitions are individually wiped, it doesn't just issue a "delete everything" command to the memory chip.
  6. rmrlc

rmrlc Well-Known Member

setting/backup & reset/Factory data reset

Screenshot_2012-01-12-14-46-53.jpg
  7. Shockwave78

Shockwave78 Well-Known Member

dunno but if its anything important i would obviously save it before doing a factory reset, i expect that it would delete everything..Thats why i want it to do a factory reset in the first place.
  8. chamjin

chamjin Well-Known Member

Yup. I can confirm, it will indeed wipe out all data.
  9. Mr. Orange 645

Mr. Orange 645 Well-Known Member

Factory reset through CWM will NOT delete the virtual SD card contents...however, a factory reset through security settings deletes EVERYTHING.
  10. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

Exactly, which is why I use adb command line to backup the `sdcard` partition.

You can't just copy it in windows, I always get errors and it aborts, adb is the way to go!

Also since you don't have a drive letter, you can't rsync in windows, or use any other "sync" tool that I have found to actually copy 100% of the storage.
  11. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Bwahaha... I thought I was in the root forum, and thus assumed he was referring to CWM. Whoops - but really, it says what it will delete. I'm not quite sure why it's noteworthy.

Frankly, I'm guessing it's there to protect users from thinking they deleted all of their personal data when doing a factory reset. There is nothing whatsoever that prevents Google from doing a factory reset but leaving the /sdcard partition intact.
  12. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

I've copied the contents of mine back and forth several times using windows.
  13. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

Yeah, I kept getting fail, hence the other method.... even from day one... copying to the phone... then trying to copy back to the computer.

Glad drop and go is working for you!
  14. truelove79

For those of you who don't believe me for some reason, I didn't post this to start a debate or to ask a question. I posted this to tell you that this is what it does. The nexus does not have an sd card contrary to what at least 1 person said in this thread. The internal memory is 1 partition and a factory reset formats the entire partition. You will lose your photos your music and anything else stored in internal memory. The phone warns you of this before you do the factory reset. This is in stark contrast to what android phones have done in the past. Previous android phones have always had an sd card which did not get touched when you get a factory reset. Don't get me wrong, I love the nexus! But this is just a little bit of a pain in the butt when you have to do a factory reset.
    jkc120 likes this.
  15. diablo1313

diablo1313 Active Member

Or you could just backup your phone to your computer.
  16. truelove79

transferring files to and from the nexus is kind of a pain in the butt as most people have come to find out. You're better off sinking to the cloud using either google services or something like dropbox.
  17. Mr. Poppalopolis

Mr. Poppalopolis Well-Known Member

That is not true. The internal memory IS divided into several partitions, one being the /sdcard partition. The software chooses to format this, but other methods of resetting (CWM Recovery) do NOT format /sdcard. Point is that even though it's all internal flash memory, the sdcard partition is treated separately from the other partitions.

More on topic though you are totally right about it formatting the sdcard partition. Maybe Google was concerned about people selling or returning phones and leaving personal data on them. On Android 2.x you would need to format the sdcard manually which many people forgot to do or did not even think about. I'm willing to bet that phones with ICS and SD card slots will also have /sdcard formatted when resetting.
  18. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I just noticed the sdcard is mounted as type fuse:

So they are doing this to share the flash and avoid the dreaded running out of space thing. So you are absolutely correct that they SHARE the partition. In fact, found this linked on a reddit post.

So basically, custom recoveries like CWM and Amon Ra are smart enough to avoid wiping the 'sdcard', but the factory reset probably does this on purpose as others pointed out so people don't accidentally wind up with someone else's personal info!

Thank you for posting this, hopefully you save some people some lost data! :)
    nj02vette likes this.
  19. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

20. ANewDay

ANewDay Well-Known Member

Does unlocking the bootloader wipe out everything, including /sdcard ?
  21. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

Yes it does.
  22. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Well-Known Member

Doing a reset wiped everything out on mine so I wouldn't say he is misleading anyone.
  23. zoukis05

zoukis05 Well-Known Member

You're right he's not misleading anyone. Doing a factory reset from within the settings WILL delete everything on your phone. However as other have said, there are other ways (CWM) to format the phone and keep the data that is on the /sd portion of the Nexus.
  24. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

The ironic thing being of course in order to run CWM, you have to unlock the bootloader. And doing that wipes the phone :)
  25. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

I hope Verizon CSRs know this about this phone. Most other phones won't wipe this data with a factory reset, I can see a lot of people losing pictures/music when they call in and are told to reset the phone as a last resort for problems...

It also makes me glad I unlocked the phone right away.
    jkc120 likes this.