• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Factory Reset - what gets wiped

Hal_Chase

Aug 25, 2011
UK
My Voda branded Sensation is running VERY VERY slow since ICS update, thinking of doing a factory reset, will it improve ICS speed?

Also, what happens on a factory reset, will I have to re-install all my apps, redo all my icons/widgets etc, set up all my accounts again?

99% of my apps are on my SD card

Thanks in advance :)

... Also, what happens on a factory reset, will I have to re-install all my apps, redo all my icons/widgets etc, set up all my accounts again? ...

Yes.

With the SD card you can choose to delete its contents or not.

These apps with their parts on SD card you'll have to re-install too.

The phone's start will be like when you started your new phone the first time.

Harry

Reactions: Hal_Chase
Upvote 0
My Voda branded Sensation is running VERY VERY slow since ICS update, thinking of doing a factory reset, will it improve ICS speed?

Also, what happens on a factory reset, will I have to re-install all my apps, redo all my icons/widgets etc, set up all my accounts again?

99% of my apps are on my SD card

Thanks in advance :)

Have the exact same problem, and I'm also getting the bloody white blank screen again. Let me know how it goes if you do do a factory reset as I'm thinking of doing it aswell!

Upvote 0
Have the exact same problem, and I'm also getting the bloody white blank screen again. Let me know how it goes if you do do a factory reset as I'm thinking of doing it aswell!

I did a Factory Reset, make sure you are well prepared though, your phone will end up like the day you unwrapped it !!

1. If you use WidgetLocker - backup settings to SD card.
2. Download and install SMS Backup & Restore, backup to your SD card.
3. Make sure your Google stuff is all sync'd.
4. If you use Google Application-specific passwords, make sure they are all working.
5. As a precaution install and run App Backup & Restore (in theory you won't need this, it's also a little messy to use)
6. Think about any other apps with custom settings and make notes (or backup settings)

It's too early to say but I **think** it's made an improvement for me, at the moment I seem to have more RAM spare, either way it does create a 'level playing field' for ICS as there will be no transient data from Gingerbread laying around;)

Will let you know in a few days for sure...

Reactions: R Deep Singh
Upvote 0
Thank you so much! Luckily for me I'm always backing up.

Had to do a factory reset the other day as I was getting way too annoyed with my phone, and it's what the HTC advisor recommended I do before I send my phone away for repair.

Anyway phone is running much faster and haven't seen the blank white screen!! yet.

Would definitely recommend doing a factory reset to get the most out of ICS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones