• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Factory unlocked Galaxy S22 on VZW won't update

I ordered a new factory unlocked Galaxy S22 for my wife (identical to one I ordered for me a few months earlier) and replaced her phone on VZW with it. My phone updated from Android 12 to 13 and gets the periodic One UI updates like it's supposed to; hers does/will not. I used a utility to change the carrier code in the firmware, but that did not fix the issue. I'm an "older" guy but tech savvy - have built PCs and networks for years and have done some programming, but I'm pretty phone-illiterate. Is there a "foolproof" tutorial somewhere that would step me through downloading and installing Android 13 from a server (after backing up the data on the phone) or is this something I should leave to someone who is more expert with phones and the Android operating system?

Thanks!
Rob

Sorry - I should have included that. It's an SM-901U.

Rob
ok there are a couple ways to do this.

1. smart switch. you can use smart switch to update your phone. you will need a computer for this. here is the guide:

2. you can flash it manually. go here:
Download Samsung Galaxy S22 SM-S901B firmware. match the pda number with your baseband version that can be found in your phone's settings under about phone and look for software information. it needs to match exactly....flashing the wrong firmware can screw the phone up.

Upvote 0
ok there are a couple ways to do this.

1. smart switch. you can use smart switch to update your phone. you will need a computer for this. here is the guide:

2. you can flash it manually. go here:
Download Samsung Galaxy S22 SM-S901B firmware. match the pda number with your baseband version that can be found in your phone's settings under about phone and look for software information. it needs to match exactly....flashing the wrong firmware can screw the phone up.
I already tried SmartSwitch and it either doesn't offer the update or thinks the phone is up-to-date.

Is the MS-S901B firmware compatible with the SM-901U? Having never done this before I'm a bit timid... if I make sure the baseband version(s) match, what are the chances I can pull this off?

Rob

Upvote 0
I already tried SmartSwitch and it either doesn't offer the update or thinks the phone is up-to-date.

Is the MS-S901B firmware compatible with the SM-901U? Having never done this before I'm a bit timid... if I make sure the baseband version(s) match, what are the chances I can pull this off?

Rob
sorry i edited my last post to mention that this site somehow changes the link to the sm-s901b. you just need to select the sm-s901u button.

Upvote 0
sorry i edited my last post to mention that this site somehow changes the link to the sm-s901b. you just need to select the sm-s901u button.
OK... so what about the second part of my question? (Having never done this before I'm a bit timid... if I make sure the baseband version(s) match, what are the chances I can pull this off?):unsure:

Rob

Upvote 0
Doing some research... the baseband version on the phone shows S901USQS2AVHJ which seems to be AT&T. If I update with AT&T firmware, the phone still won't update on the Verizon network, will it? What happens if I flash it with S901USQS3CWH3 - the VZW latest version? Will that mess things up? Do I need to update with AT&T firmware and just keep doing it manually from here on out?

Rob

Upvote 0
Doing some research... the baseband version on the phone shows S901USQS2AVHJ which seems to be AT&T. If I update with AT&T firmware, the phone still won't update on the Verizon network, will it? What happens if I flash it with S901USQS3CWH3 - the VZW latest version? Will that mess things up? Do I need to update with AT&T firmware and just keep doing it manually from here on out?

Rob
Ive always recommend that you flash a firmware update that was meant for your phone regardless of carrier. i think you should be fine, but i am not 100% positive.

Reactions: Second Chance
Upvote 0
Update (no pun intended): I was able to find a YouTube step-by-step guide and successfully downloaded the appropriate firmware and got my wife's phone updated to Android 13. It went flawlessly. An extra benefit is that the phone is now recognized by the VZW update servers and has downloaded and installed two push updates since the Android upgrade - win/win!

Rob

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones