• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fake virus popup in browser

mlouie

Lurker
Oct 7, 2017
I cannot get rid of a fake virus popup in Chrome on my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy 8 Note) nor a fake Comcast popup in Samsung Internet. Restarting the phone does nothing. Every time I open my Chrome browser, I get a popup that says:
new-softwaresad-mobile-dev.pw says
Warning!
Samsung Galaxy_Note8 is infected with virus and immediate action is required!
Continue with instructions to fix Samsung Galaxy_Note8. Do not close this window!
**Exit at your own risk**
OK

Of course, I don't ever click on "OK". Whenever I see this, I close all my apps and reboot the phone. But the next time I open Chrome, I see the same popup.

So then I started using Samsung Internet browser. But now every time I open it, I see this popup:
Congratulations!
Dear Comcast user, we are holding an anniversary Celebration to reward your loyalty. Click "OK" to spin.

Of course, I don't ever click on "OK".

I close all my apps and reboot the phone. But the next time I open Samsung Internet, I see the same popup.

I am already running Lookout antivirus on my phone and have since I got the phone.

I just downloaded and ran a Malware Bytes scan and it found nothing.

I looked at all the settings for Chrome and Samsung Internet in the App settings area and do not see anything there I can change to stop these popups. Obviously I can't go to any settings within the apps because every time I open the apps I get these popups and cannot get to anything in the app.

I do not think these popups were caused by any app I installed on my phone. I think they were caused by a website I was reading that I clicked on from a link in Facebook.

How do I get rid of these popups so I can use Chrome and Samsung Internet again since restarting the phone does nothing?

I've gotten him before, Just go to the three vertical dots in Chrome in the upper right hand corner then go to settings> then Advanced privacy then clear search history data and from there you will have an option with checkboxes you would want to delete or keep. After that's done press the number 1 next to the three vertical dots to exit the page. Restart Chrome and your fake virus should be deleted.

Last edited:
Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones