• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fast battery drain even with new bigger battery

SGvagon

Dec 27, 2022
Hello,

I bought new Xperia Z5, but it had bad battery (discharging 10% per hour and the phone shuts off in 22%) , so I sent it to reclamation, but then the battery it was still bad (phone drain 2-3 % battery even if display off and if I watching Youtube, battery draining 5-10% per 10 minutes) .

So, I tried bought bigger battery (3100 mAh) from German company Polar Cell. After battery changed, CPU-Z app still show 2900 mAh and the phone still draining battery (1-2 % per hour) on display off and 4% on watching Youtube per 10 minutes :-/ .

I tried disable battery optimization, but I don't see any change (only the phone charging longer time) . What should I try next? Factory reset or reinstall system via Xperia Companion? Or this issue is in phone itself?

And yes, I have wifi, NFC and GPS off.

I know, that this phone is little bit hot (because Snapdragon 810) , but in idle or browsing the web is OK. But still, the battery draining too fast. I had Xperia Z3 Compact before and I can use this phone almost three days! Z5 barely 8-9 hours.

Thank you in advance.

It looks like you did everything you could do short of a factory reset. I would try a factory reset. It's 12 years old Technology moves fast Good luck to you.
Ok, so if this new battery not better after few charges, I will try factory reset or reinstall via Xperia Companion. But wait, this phone is from 2015 , so it's 7 years old, not 12.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
Ok, so if this new battery not better after few charges, I will try factory reset or reinstall via Xperia Companion. But wait, this phone is from 2015 , so it's 7 years old, not 12.
just keep in mind that most 3rd party makers of batteries are probably not making these any more. like all other manufacturers and 3rd party companies, they will only support a device for so long. as soon as demand dies down so does the production of them. if you are finding a company that is still selling the batteries than these are most likely leftovers from whenever they stopped producing them.

so this is the issue. even if the battery says new....it is not. it is a battery that has been sitting on a shelve until someone buys it. the longer a battery sits on a shelf, the more the battery will drain and the more the battery life will be lost.

this thing is really old, i would look to get a much newer phone. anything from 2015 is now considered old. tech advances very quickly. and you have planned obsolescence going against you as well.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
just keep in mind that most 3rd party makers of batteries are probably not making these any more. like all other manufacturers and 3rd party companies, they will only support a device for so long. as soon as demand dies down so does the production of them. if you are finding a company that is still selling the batteries than these are most likely leftovers from whenever they stopped producing them.

so this is the issue. even if the battery says new....it is not. it is a battery that has been sitting on a shelve until someone buys it. the longer a battery sits on a shelf, the more the battery will drain and the more the battery life will be lost.

this thing is really old, i would look to get a much newer phone. anything from 2015 is now considered old. tech advances very quickly. and you have planned obsolescence going against you as well.
I know :-( . But todays Sony Xperia phones cost too much for me. And Xperia Arc is only for Japan market. This was the last Xperia with MHL support, still compact size and fast double tap to wake ( I don't know, if newer Xperias have double tap to wake, because what I saw, in Xperia XZ and XZ Premium this function is not there anymore) .

Upvote 0
https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z5-7534.php
It's not surprising that a battery in a seven year old phone is failing, it's actually expected. All smartphone batteries age, that's unavoidable no matter if they're used on a daily basis or just sitting idle for years. Any third-party battery that's actually going fit will also be about that same age so its usage life won't be that good. It's not like any battery manufacturer will re-tool their factory to make a battery for an otherwise obscure phone model.
Basically, you should expect bad battery life in a phone this old.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones