• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fast Charging Problem - Car Chargers

mormandy3

Sep 17, 2012
I am unable to fast charge my new Note 9 on any car charger or cable, but fast charging is no problem with a cable plugged into the wall charger. I can slow charge on any of those car chargers, but that is lucky to even keep up with battery drain. I have tried several different Samsung car rapid chargers, and just picked up the highly rated Anker dual port fast charge 3.0 charger today, same issue, no fast charging. Of course fast cable charging is enabled in the menu, I've tried restarts, multiple OEM Samsung fast charge cables, etc.

I called Samsung, and after struggling with the horribly thick East Indian accent of the tech support person, I was told to take the phone to an authorized center (a half an hour from me), and that the phone may need to go back for work. I'm probably going to return the phone after work as I'm not going to be an unpaid beta tester for a $1,000 phone, but I thought I would see if anyone has had a similar experience or any input first.

Good comments, and agreed, time to return. I even tried safe mode and reset it and found the behavior even more strange than I first thought:

Before resetting, tried safe mode. Result: said it was fast charging, but the time remaining was consistent with regular charge.

Full reset. Result: would not say fast charging with cable fast charge turned on, time remaining consistent with standard charge. **Oddly the option for wireless charging disappeared, no longer in the menu now! Turned phone off completely and it said fast charging, but time remaining was consistent with regular charge.

Went back inside, hooked up to wall charger, and verified what I had suspected with time remaining numbers. Fast charge worked correctly with the option turned on, reverted to standard charge with the option turned off. Time remaining was correct based on the option being turned on, or off (significantly shorter time remaining with option on as you would expect).

Back to Verizon it goes, just wanted to share for the record / those who may experience similar issues. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Yes, I tried three chargers. Two OEM Samsung QC units (one dual port, one single port) that were used for my S8+ without issue, and a brand new Anker A2228H11 49 watt dual port QC 3.0 unit that I just picked up from Best Buy. None worked.

Now an interesting update....

I dug out my old S7 QC car charger and it works!! It's OEM samsung with the rapid charge logo, off-white colored, single port. Even though this makes no sense, and is a bit frustrating, my needs are met for the moment and I 'll keep the phone and curse my way through Bixby annoyances until Samsung (hopefully) adds a toggle for it as they did with past devices. I'll attach the link for the S7 charger that ended up working below:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/OEM-Orig...FoUTkXXk8MD_mVblXMM41zp1tK9ptIoxoCpZEQAvD_BwE

Reactions: lvt and marctronixx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones