• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fast to slow, overtime, WHY??!?!?

Hey all,

I am on my 3rd Android phone. I am still a fan. I am currently using a Nexus 6 and love the phone.

But what frustrates me beyond belief is Android OS itself. The day I bought this phone, I was so impressed with the speed. Same with my Samsung S4. But today, I want to throw the Nexus across the room. It has been 7 months. In apps, google keyboard will take 5 seconds to respond to my swypes. My camera will at times just hang. HDR will process the picture and never stop processing. I have apps that take 10 or 15 seconds to load.

Now, my phone is encrypted. This is an admin rule from work. I also have a lot of music saved locally through google music. And of course, many saved pics using Dropbox and dropsync.

So my question, is it pretty much standard operating procedure to format and do fresh installs every 6 months? Are there things I could be doing or apps I could have loaded that will help keep this OS running fast and tight? I clear the cache. I don't run a lot of games. But I do tend to get bored at times and install like 3 or 4 games.. play them, then uninstall.... and then look at the mess they leave behind, which then makes me think I should just flatten the phone all the time.. like when I change my contact lenses. Which really seems stupid as I have an iPad that I have never had to flatten and it is just as fast now as it was on Day 1. And my Windows phone (8.1) is still just as fast as day 1.

Am I alone?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones