FedEx requirements

Last Updated:

1. sanjeeva7

sanjeeva7 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Since this requires an indirect signature I tried to call FedEx and their rule with Verizon packages is to make at least 1 attempt before placing an item on hold. I will be at work and not home until 6 p.m. so I was trying to get them to not even attempt a home delivery and leave it at their facility. For me it's only 5 miles from home and could be picked up on my way home with a 1 mile detour. I didn't want to chance shipping to work and have it sit there all weekend since I work an hour from home. Who knows I may get lucky and be home early since it is Friday.

The FedEx site says you need a FedEx door tag to authorize leaving it at your door or on the back porch.

Just an FYI for people expecting their phones Friday and won't be home.

Advertisement
  2. lamoglinsgal

lamoglinsgal Well-Known Member

I will personally be parked by the front door. Lucky for me, the bathroom happens to be right there too! :D

3. alicia4065

alicia4065 Well-Known Member

I'm taking the day off don't want to chance missing it.

4. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

You can just leave a note for the driver telling them to put the package where ever you want. I do it with packages all the time and just did it with my last verizon order.

5. sanjeeva7

lmao!!!

i wasn't sure if that still worked or not, thanks i will give it a try!!

6. Airmaxx23

You can always call fedex to verify for you own piece of mind.

7. damstr

damstr Well-Known Member

Yep leaving a note that the driver can take counts as a signature.

8. MarkAllan22

MarkAllan22 Active Member

Where do you get a FedEx Door Tag from? I'll be home, but I'll probably be in the back of the house and might not hear them pull up. I'll have both doors open so hopefully they actually knock, but sometimes it seems like they just look, shrug and drive off.

9. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

Website says "signed and dated" but I accept signed notes all the time.

See my post about next day vs 2 day shipments and the link at the bottom to my post about Indirect delivery.

10. thenew3

thenew3 Well-Known Member

You could go to your local fedex and sign a document to have them hold all your packages there. My local fedex distribution center does this (and UPS does as well).

The bad thing is, you would have to know you're expecting a package. If you're not expecting anything and they have a package for you, they would hold it for 5 days before returning it to sender.

I guess I'm lucky I work from home :) I'm all ready for the nice truck to show up tomorrow.

11. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

This is only good for packages that don't explicitly require Direct or Indirect signatures. Every phone I've purchased from Verizon has required a signature, either from myself or someone at my home.

Worst case scenario, they'll leave you a note and you can pick it up later that day/evening.

Edit: I just checked the status of my package, and apparently you CAN issue a letter for release, but obviously take the risk of someone else claiming the package...

12. Bitbang3r

Bitbang3r Well-Known Member

That's one reason I've begun to favor UPS over FedEx for things that HAVE to be shipped to my home address instead of my office -- they allow you to get home at 6pm, grab the slip, and run like hell to their warehouse and pick it up the same day. Ex: in Miami and Fort Lauderdale, their warehouse is in Hialeah (by Opa-Locka airport... in fact, it sits on land that used to BE part of it before the expressway was built). The only catch is that you might have to spend two or three hours there waiting for them to find it, and they absolutely won't let you have it without a driver's license showing the name to which it's addressed and a utility bill (or driver's license) showing the same address as the one to which the package was sent. The only exception I ever saw them make was someone who used his phone to get a pdf copy of his bank statement showing the address from the bank's website, and THAT was probably because it was Friday of a 3-day weekend & the guy was in tears (hey, whatever it takes...)

13. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

Are you serious? I've never had a FedEx pickup facility hassle me like that. I've only ever had to show my id, sign the release form, and be on my way.

14. cnymike

cnymike Member

I favor UPS because they're better in a small town like mine. Here, the driver remembers where to find me in town if I'm not home. Service like that is what counts.

15. Airmaxx23

My last package from Verizon required an indirect signature. I called fedex and they said you can leave a note for indirect but not direct signatures. I left a note and the package was left for me.

16. kprst6

kprst6 Active Member

The actual requirements are as follows:

The tracking number for all package(s)
    Recipient name
    Recipient Address

Location authorizing to leave/place the package
    Printed name
    Signature and date

17. sanjeeva7

Crap I did not date my note. :( I did everything else, print name, sign name, address, tracking number, even put it was from VZW, and to leave on back porch.

18. kprst6

kprst6 Active Member

The date thing won't be an issue at all. The driver wouldn't want to waste his time redelivering over the date and could write it in themselves if it was even ani issue

19. Airmaxx23

Don't worry about it. I just write a note that says "Please leave fedex package ######### on my blah blah. Thank you, My Name" Never had a problem.

20. SFWB

SFWB Well-Known Member

That sounds like something that has more to do with the individual driver than the whole company.

I've never really had a problem with either, but FedEx is at my house almost every day. All the drivers know me. I'm an IT guy who works from home. But, my regular driver knows who my primary customer is and has dropped stuff off to me when I was at one of their locations on his route.

21. Airmaxx23

You're right, the UPS driver that delivers to where I work is great but the guy that delivers to my house is a complete idiot.

22. JA1234

JA1234 Well-Known Member

here I get deliveries from both pretty regular..in fact ups is driving off right now. Both are great to deal with IMO...and I dont really see anything bad in your post. I mean, yeah they probably could find it sooner, but I bet its not as easy as walking up to a bin and grabbing it off the top of the stock. This time of year its hot as hell in those places...unless things have changed.

And I certainly would not want them giving away my stuff without ID...you know how easy it would be to drive around and find door tags and go get a package without ID...

The only reason I would favor UPS over fedex here at my home is simply...ups gets here every time between 10 and 11 AM never fails...fedex 10AM to 3pm ... but with a indirect sig that is OK too.

23. Ringhale

Ringhale Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has been covered but.. will fedex let a neighbor sign for the package as long as the have the order number or tracking number?