• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Few questions about root

mwpeck

Jul 17, 2010
Trying to decide if I need to root my phone or not, its my first phone, but I am very tech savvy in general and would like to remove some of the apps I will never use that came on it.

1) What is the main purpose of root? To uninstall extra apps (like the Blockbuster and Amazon MP3 app) that come with the phone? To take advantage of free tethering? Any other major reasons?

2) Is a factory reset required after rooting? It seems like most people do a factory reset, any specific reason why? Is it simply to make sure updates will work with what they removed? If so, would you have to factory reset if you only remove apps that have already been deemed safe to remove?

3) By logic, lowering voltage even while leaving the phone at stock speeds will increase battery life, which is something I would be interested in doing (worst case, the phone is at 30% by the time I get home from work, best case, it lasts more than 36 hours without needing a charge). I would love to increase the worst-case scenario lifetime, but I am not interested in overclocking the phone itself. Would it be worth the extra battery life to reduce the voltage?

Chances are I am going to wait until 2.2 to root if I decide to, I simply want to get some info before I make that decision, it doesn't seem like one of those must-do's on a phone, but it would definitely be nice to remove some of the extra useless apps.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones