• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

File formats

zuben el genub

Extreme Android User
Jan 24, 2011
What are EPUB, MOBI, PDF considered?

They all belong to books that use ereader software. Are they considered data or media?

I think of them as media. I'm trying to set up a folder in 6.0 where I want it on the ext sd card. The app seems to be showing picture folders only. I consider books to be part of media - not just music and videos. If these files are considered data, then I know it won't work and I'll have to file in the sd memory on the phone.

The problem is, nowadays everything has DRM.
http://searchcio.techtarget.com/definition/digital-rights-management

Even that which we own is not truly ours. Don't know where you are getting the ebooks from. I took issue with Amazon about this. I wanted to download a movie I had purchased. They tried to download 4gb of movie behind my data partition.:thinking:
Take a look at Calibre. I don't care for some of it, but it is a swiss army knife. Go to Mobileread forums for help.
I use Smashwords, Gutenberg, Obooko, Booksamillion, and Baen. I like sci-fi. I can convert Kindle to Mobi,

The reason I am asking is that the SD card in Marshmallow has to be either media or app storage. You can't have both. My SD card has always been media, and I just copy it for different phones.
However, so far I can't make Pocketbook reader find the folder marked Books on the ext. SD card. It sees the card, so it should be able to use the card.

The only difference would be is if books are called data rather than media. If books are considered data, I'd have to use the internal 32G storage.

I don't care to read on the phone, I have a tablet. But I found some free geological tracts that I wanted and they are in EPUB format. Pocketbook sees them just fine. It can't find them on a search.
I also keep my camera and cell phone manuals on the phone. They are PDF (No DRM)The phone is replacing around 20 physical books which I can't carry.

BTW - not everything has DRM. Cory Doctorow uses Creative Commons. He's a digital rights activist, blogger and Sci-fi author.

Upvote 0
BTW - not everything has DRM. Cory Doctorow uses Creative Commons. He's a digital rights activist, blogger and Sci-fi author.

Thanks, sounds like you know more about this than me. I was told that once you choose to mount an SDcard as internal, it will not work in any other device. I know this doesn't answer your question, but it may influence your decision.

Upvote 0
That I did know. I'm just asking what the card thinks books are. There's quite a few formats for books - the most common would be EPUB. More Android readers will use that format along with some proprietary ones. One reader will do AZS3 or whatever Kindle calls the new format. Kobo has KEPUB. Some apps do Adobe with DRM. I associated my inkBOOK Obsidian with Adobe ADE and use the native reader. The ereader does not have Google, nor do I want it.

Now if media insists on only graphics and video (MP4, MP3, AAC , JPG, PNG, DNG, GIF) for example, then books are probably considered data by android. That's the answer I need. I just want to file the books, manuals and tracts I need on the phone. Preferably the EXT SD card.

Most of the other reference books I have are actually purchased apps, not digital books, so they are treated differently than what I try to file.

Since the Acer tablet is 4.0.1 (no upgrade available) and the Samsung 4.4.2 (5.1.1 available this fall supposedly) there is no problem about where I save anything. It all goes on the EXT SD card. The Sammy does not have the accelerometer, so it can't be used as I like for astronomy. The Acer can. The Acer can't do At Bat any more, the Sammy can. The phone is too small for the Vulcan to deal with. He can do the 10.2" Acer. He uses a Kindle, I've got the Android as an e-reader.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones