• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help File Sharing App?

palermo

Lurker
Mar 3, 2013
What would be a good app to use if I want to access files on my computer via the LAN only? Currently I'm using ES File Explorer with my Android Galaxy S3 but it only connects intermittently and when it is connected everything works great except movies. When I rip DVD's to my hard drive on my computer and try to watch them on the S3 they skip but 1080p music video play fine (both MP4 format). I've even tried to compress the DVD's and it still lags.

Does anyone know of the best format to convert DVD's to so they would play on an S3 and the best app to use for wireless LAN file sharing? Thank You

What would be a good app to use if I want to access files on my computer via the LAN only? Currently I'm using ES File Explorer with my Android Galaxy S3 but it only connects intermittently and when it is connected everything works great except movies. When I rip DVD's to my hard drive on my computer and try to watch them on the S3 they skip but 1080p music video play fine (both MP4 format). I've even tried to compress the DVD's and it still lags.

Does anyone know of the best format to convert DVD's to so they would play on an S3 and the best app to use for wireless LAN file sharing? Thank You

For file sharing wirelessly, I recommend Airdroid and for playing back videos I recommend MX Player. I have the paid version so I'm not sure what restrictions are on the free version. I know it has played back any format I've thrown at it.

Upvote 0

I only use ES File Manager and have to say that I never have any issues whats-o-ever and certainly not transferring files or streaming anything from my PC and NAS on my home network. This has to be an issue relating to your wireless setup and is nothing to do with the file manager, whichever one you use. I'd say ES is the most capable file management and network tool available and probably the only one that shows real-time transfer speeds when you copy/move data over your network.

By-the-way, it may also be your router/access point.

Upvote 0
I use es file explorer also and MX player never any issues at all

I also have an FTP server and use es file explorer for that too without a single problem.

Like someone said most probably your router setup.

Try disabling your router security for a few minutes then try and stream a video and see how it is then.

It can sometimes be the type of security you have on your Router, changing some settings can sometimes help.

Upvote 0
For file sharing wirelessly, I recommend Airdroid and for playing back videos I recommend MX Player. I have the paid version so I'm not sure what restrictions are on the free version. I know it has played back any format I've thrown at it.

I second both of these apps.

Airdroid uses a wireless connection between your phone and your network giving you a really good GUI/ Desktop environment to work in on your PC so you can navigate your phones storage and upload/ download easily.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones