• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Firestick

Whenever I had trouble with my router I got a cheap $49 Linksys router from Office Depot that fixed everything. I make sure to disable IPv6 because it causes nothing but issues for me. Hasn't needed a restart since I bought it. I created a 'poor man's Mesh' wifi by just daisy-chaining multiple routers just like that one so now all 80+ smart home and other devices can connect without instability.

Upvote 0
Does that include Spirited Away by any chance? I was able to find an eversion of the Disney (?!) book. I bet that would be amazing in animated form.

Oh god yes. It's a beautiful film, and as an adult hits a bit harder with the existitional story.

But Princess Mononoke is even better (me being a deer person and all)

Reactions: Rgarner
Upvote 0
So several months ago while out on the road I get a call from the wife and in the course of our bipolar conversation she tells our kid lost the fire stick remote control.
I thought she had invested in some fancy log for the fire place that was remote control (very cool I thought)
I forgot about it until a few days ago when she mentioned it.
I responded well it won't be cold enough to use the fire place till December or January and I am pretty certain we will find your fire log thingy remote control by then :D:thumbsupdroid:
She looked at me like I was an :goofydroid: with her :maskeddroid: stare and before she got mad she realized I had no clue what a fire stick was
And yes I found the remote within five minutes of looking for it;)

Upvote 0
I can do better than that
20220919_120708.jpg

Upvote 0
Now Kodi's gotten weird. We put it on and it showed this screen. There were others that are similar. I guess it would be fine if we could do anything with it. We can't download repositories, add videos, etc. I notice it's at least Android. Would it help to add external storage, but how and where?
20220921_081658.jpg

Upvote 0
The Fire Stick and just about every Amazon device still run like the year 2010 never ended. They are trying to make modern stuff run on hardware that's simply incapable of working properly with it. The specs of a Fire Stick are worse than the specs of the Samsung Galaxy SII. It's no wonder it can't open Paramount+ the first ten times!!! Then freezes mid-way into a show or movie requiring a plug pull.

A Roku Express is far superior to anything Amazon makes for a similar price.

Upvote 0
Toss it out and get a Roku Xpress. Those are the same cost and are far better devices.

I got two. They offer A/V component out so you're not stuck with HDMI. For some reason, the folks behind HDMI decided that my 2009 TVs are too old to work and give me some error about HDCP. HDMI is another solution in search of a problem like USB-C. Neither are welcome in this 1960s-inspired home!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones