• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

firmware issue Samsung Galaxy S8 (SM-G950FD)

IMEI is a device identifier used by cellular service carriers, if it was indeed actually 'gone', your phone would be blacklisted from access to various cellular networks. (in that kind of situation, you could still use WIFi connectivity but a smartphone without cellular access has limitations.) Anyway, odds are it exists but it just wasn't visible in the menu you used to view it. But your first priority is to obtain the correct ROM and then re-flash your phone to hopefully get it back into working condition again, fingers-crossed. Then look into other matters.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have a serious issue with my Samsung Galaxy S8, 64 GB, dual sim. My phone has stock android, never rooted, never modified in any way. I run it in Australia but got it from overseas. After a system update (sometime in December) my phone rebooted (precisely on 29/12/2019), and after the reboot it got stuck at the android logo. Typical boot loop issue, so far so good.

Immediately after, I managed to boot into recovery mode with the intention to wipe the cache partition or do a factory reset, but neither functions worked. In fact, not a single function in recovery mode works. I can scroll up and down and select any option, but without actually executing the functions. And on top of that, after a few seconds the recovery mode freezes and I can't do anything but restart.

The only useful info in recovery mode is the following (on the top part of the screen):

"Android Recovery
Samsung/dreamltexx/dreamlte
/PPR1.180610.011/G950FXXU6DSK9" (please note that "G950FXXU6DSK9" is what it says there now, after flashing this particular firmware - see below. But the error messages were the same even before flashing).

and below, in the output part of the screen:
"fail to open recovery_cause(No such file or directory)#
Reboot recovery cause is [UNKNOWN]
Support SINGLE-SKU
File-Based OTA
Supported API: 3
E: unknown volume for path [/odm]
E: unknown volume for path [/vendor]
verity verification failed...
E: [libfs_mgr]is_dt_compatible(): firmware info was not valid : '/proc/device-tree
/firmware/android/compatible : no such file or directory"

When I attempt a factory reset (or any other function in the recovery menu), I get the following error message:
"wiping data...
formatting /data...
formatting /cache...
data wipe complete.
E: [libfs_mgr]is_dt_compatible(): firmware info was not valid : '/proc/device-tree
/firmware/android/compatible : no such file or directory"

Apparently the firmware "G950FXXU6DSK9" doesn't work. So I got myself Odin (Odin3_v3.13.1) to flash a working firmware but cannot, for the life of me, figure out the right firmware - mostly because I don't know the right PDA and CSC.

In any case, here is the Odin log:
G950FXXU6DSK9_G950FOXM6DSK9_SMA
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> Odin engine v(ID:3.1301)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> Total Binary size: 5843 M
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/005> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/005> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/005> sboot.bin
<ID:0/005> param.bin
<ID:0/005> up_param.bin
<ID:0/005> cm.bin
<ID:0/005> boot.img
<ID:0/005> recovery.img
<ID:0/005> system.img
<ID:0/005> userdata.img
<ID:0/005> modem.bin
<ID:0/005> Transmission Complete..
<ID:0/005> Now Writing.. Please wait about 2 minutes
<ID:0/005> Receive Response from boot-loader
<ID:0/005> modem_debug.bin
<ID:0/005> Transmission Complete..
<ID:0/005> Now Writing.. Please wait about 2 minutes
<ID:0/005> Receive Response from boot-loader
<ID:0/005> cache.img
<ID:0/005> omr.img
<ID:0/005> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/005> RES OK !!
<ID:0/005> Removed!!
<ID:0/005> Remain Port .... 0
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)

Here is what I know:
- Model of my phone, as seen on the back of the phone case (SM-G950FD)
- region of my phone, as seen in the download mode (XSG - United Arab Emirates).
- my IMEI, as seen on the back of the phone case
- my phone serial number, as seen on the back of the phone case
- Chipset: Samsung Exynos 9 Octa 8895, obtained via IMEI.info
- OS: Android 7.0 Nougat, Android 8.0 Oreo, obtained via IMEI.info
- I can enter the download mode
- I can enter the recovery mode, but not do anything

Here is what I don't know:
- my exact PDA
- my CSC
- and therefore, my exact firmware

Here is what I have tried, unsuccessfully:
- used the most current version of Kies; however my device is not supported.
- used the most current version of Frija (v1.4.2); however I got "error 102. unable to find firmware"
- downloaded and successfully flashed 3 different firmware versions, obtained from sammobile.com. these 3 versions are:
G950FXXS6DSL2_G950FOXM6DSK9_BTU
G950FXXU6DSK9_G950FOXM6DSK9_BRI
G950FXXU6DSK9_G950FOXM6DSK9_SMA
I have flashed AP, BL, CP, and CSC. I did not flash HOME_CSC. Then I tried also with HOME_CSC, but no difference.

however after successful flashing, the outcome in recovery mode was unchanged. I still couldn't use any of the recovery mode functions, and I still got the exact same error messages.

I also tried flashing G950FXXS5DSI1_G950FOXM5DSHC_XSG, which at least had the correct country code (XSG), but this one I couldn't flash using Odin, so I went back to a previous one (G950FXXU6DSK9)

Does anyone have any idea what my error messages mean, and how to overcome them? Can anyone tell me the exact firmware I have to use to get this to work again? Or is this not even a firmware issue?
I just figured out the trick. You have to install just the AP BUT invoke the download mode by the recovery menu. Don´t enter the download mode using the keys, enter using the recovery menu and works!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones