• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help First charge

Styxx

Nov 5, 2010
Hi all. I got a new HTC Desire HD today. I checked through the documentation in the box and found nothing about how long to charge it for, so I stuck it on anyway and went to work. When I got back (maybe six hours later) the charge LED was green, so I took it off and started playing with it. Later on though, I took a look at the documentation that came in the package. This is the stuff from Phones4U (the company I bought the phone from) and was things like direct debit forms. There was also a letter saying "Thanks for choosing Phones4U" etc. etc., and one of the points in the letter mentioned charging for at least 14 hours. However it's clearly a stock letter, and so I'm guessing that figure is one to cover the majority of phones so that they can cover their own backs. Once I read this I put it back on charge, it had been unplugged for maybe an hour. My questions are these:

How long does this phone need to charge for on first charge?

If I should have charged it for longer, will it have a negative effect on the phone?

Not sure if there is a 'stop charging when full' circuit on the phone but the manual says:

"... The battery is partially charged when shipped. Before you turn on and start using your phone, it is recommended that you charge the battery. Some batteries perform best after several full charge/discharge cycles.
Only the power adapter and USB sync cable provided with your phone must be used to charge the battery.
Do not remove the battery from the phone while you are charging it using the power or car adapter.
1. Plug the power adapter into the USB connector of your phone.
2.Plug in the power adapter to an electrical outlet to start charging the battery.
As the battery is being charged, the notification LED shows a solid red light. The light turns to solid green when the phone is fully charged.
When you charge the battery while the phone is on, the charging battery icon
( ) is displayed in your phone’s status bar. After the battery has been fully charged, the charging battery icon turns to a full battery icon ( ).
As a safety precaution, the battery stops charging when it overheats. ..."

So you were correct to remove it when green. The phone shop just give out those initial charging instructions because that's what they've done for years and no-one has realised that battery technology has moved on!

I'd also read the various threads here, and on xda-forums, regarding battery life and battery saving.

Dave

Reactions: vickylou
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones