• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First day, first impressions.

Having had this a few days now I've had chance to get plenty of reaction. We have to remember this is an illusion, and everyone will see it differently. Most people are blown away, some are impressed but not ecstatic, some will literally move their head to avoid "objects" ;-) The illusion can also be changed, see my first few posts where I almost dismiss the "pop out" effect and suggest its the "depth" that impresses most. Then, after using it in bed, in the dark (no input of peripheral vision?) wearing strong reading glasses, I get the "barracuda effect" that I enthused about. You will also notice some people who are unable to hold the phone flat to their faces, and have to watch it at a slight angle. They must have slight focus differences between their eyes and are twisting the phone to get the image focused. This again will detract from the experience.

You must wear your glasses if you need them to read or work up close, to "enhance" the effect try stronger ones to get the phone closer.

This technology is going to be MASSIVE and I see all hand held video devices (laptops, netbooks, tablet PC's etc, etc, etc) having this within a year.

Pete

Upvote 0
Having had this a few days now I've had chance to get plenty of reaction. We have to remember this is an illusion, and everyone will see it differently. Most people are blown away, some are impressed but not ecstatic, some will literally move their head to avoid "objects" ;-) The illusion can also be changed, see my first few posts where I almost dismiss the "pop out" effect and suggest its the "depth" that impresses most. Then, after using it in bed, in the dark (no input of peripheral vision?) wearing strong reading glasses, I get the "barracuda effect" that I enthused about. You will also notice some people who are unable to hold the phone flat to their faces, and have to watch it at a slight angle. They must have slight focus differences between their eyes and are twisting the phone to get the image focused. This again will detract from the experience.

You must wear your glasses if you need them to read or work up close, to "enhance" the effect try stronger ones to get the phone closer.

This technology is going to be MASSIVE and I see all hand held video devices (laptops, netbooks, tablet PC's etc, etc, etc) having this within a year.

Pete

Ok. Then I will definitely be looking at some 3D stuff in my bed in the dark to see the pop out. Hopefully the 3D games will show with pop out.

One more question:
On a scale from 1-10 how would you rate the screen (displaying 2D) with 1 being completely sucks and 10 being as good as the iPhone 4?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones