• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First Time Andriod user... Questions please help me im nOOB!.

vvilliamm

Lurker
May 4, 2011
Well Ive been using apple phones.. since their first release with jailbreaking and etc.

Questions
Does the Android have an app market like cydia?
Can all Andriod phones be rooted (jailbroken in iphone terms right?) ?
After rooting the phone could you re-flash back to the stock firmware for warranty purposes? (like apple once you jailbreak it voids your warrenty but you could always flash back to the stock firmware )
If an andriod phone like the htc sensation running on 2.3 (gingerbread?) will htc release newer verisons of andriod when it comes out? like 3.X series (ice Cream?)

Im currently very interested in the HTC SENSATION 4G for Tmobile i know its not out yet

Thank you!

To answer all of your questions: Yes.

Software updates for devices that are running a UI overlay take longer, but in HTC's case, it usually gets done at some point. Although it seems like (imho) Android is getting to the point where they're just polishing it with the updates. Making things tidier and more efficient, and more elegant. There isn't MUCH more to do functionality-wise. Pretty much every thing is there now.

Back in the days of 1.x, updates were something to really look forward to. They would add video recording, and a bunch of other things that were missing. Froyo was a big one because of Flash, and battery use. Gingerbread adds support for NFC, and some more battery tweaks, and a new UI, not much of a big deal really. This is all in my opinion, but I'd rather get a phone with Sense on it (adds a lot of great apps/widgets) than stock Android. If you aren't a big fan of the way the Sense homescreen looks, you could always download Launcher Pro (looks like Froyo), or a GingerBread launcher, or all sorts of other ones.

I don't think there's really any smartphone out there that can do something Android can't ;)

Upvote 0
I've rooted my Android and jailbroken my iPad, and I believe I can explain how they are similar and different.

Does the Android have an app market like cydia?

Apps that require a rooted phone are available in the normal Android Market. Cydia is a third party app store out of necessity; jailbroken apps are not allowed in the Apple App Store. There is no such restriction by Google, so you can just use the market as usual. Another feature of Android is that you can enable your phone to accept 3rd-party apps. These apps don't need to be from a 3rd party app-store; some developers create their own web site and distribute their app via that site independently from the official Market. Several popular root apps are obtained in this way.

Can all Andriod phones be rooted (jailbroken in iphone terms right?)?
I haven't heard of any Android that couldn't be rooted. However there is a very important distinction between rooting and jailbreaking. What they have in common is that after the hack, you have superuser access to the filesystem. The Android rooting procedure goes a step further by also unlocking the bootloader so that you can actually replace the operating system with custom/modified ones. Because the kernel and Android are open source, it's much easier to customize the OS in a meaningful way.

Furthermore, Android uses the linux filesystem in a very straightforward way, whereas iOS intentionally obfuscates how it utilizes its filesystem, so that even if you are jailbroken and can log in as root, you can't do much to the filesystem to affect iOS. For example, on your iDevice, try managing your music and/or videos from the filesystem, or try to uninstall an app via the filesystem. It's designed to be near impossible. Likewise, jailbreaking an iDevice still doesn't give you any access to hardware components. This is why you don't have profile/scheduler type apps on the App Store or Cydia.

I should note that Motorola isn't too fond of users having free reign over its hardware, so it has encrypted the bootloaders of its phones. So far, the encryption has foiled hackers' attempts to unlock it. So rooting potential on Motorola phones is reduced.

After rooting the phone could you re-flash back to the stock firmware for warranty purposes? (like apple once you jailbreak it voids your warrenty but you could always flash back to the stock firmware)
Yes, it is possible to flash back to unrooted, stock condition.

If an andriod phone like the htc sensation running on 2.3 (gingerbread?) will htc release newer verisons of andriod when it comes out? like 3.X series (ice Cream?)
Yes, to a certain extent. A given phone is not supported indefinitely, so if the phone is aging, it's possible that the manufacturer stops releasing updates for it. If you are rooted, this is less of an issue, since the homebrew community for a popular phone will likely develop a custom OS running on the latest version. Of course, eventually, even the community will lose interest in the phone, but typically after you've already upgraded, so...

Upvote 0
Awesome Responses i must say i think ive come to love andriod vs iphone ios. sadly now i have to wait and see when will they release the htc sensation and the Samsung galaxy s2.

hmm regarding the screen i noticed that the samsung galaxy s2 has one of thoes super oled + or something.. is that better than the q hd?

whats the track record for updates being released by htc and samsung?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones