• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First time Android user with questions

TheBlueFox

Aug 24, 2010
hey guys, whats up. my name is justin. i just recently purchased a Droid and had some questions for you seasoned Android guys on here. i'm running 2.2 as well.

1) what is one of/the best app killers?

i installed Task Manager by Rhythm Software and it acts pretty quirky. i can go to the app and kill everything running like Gmail, Browser, Messaging, etc, and it will show that they are all killed. well, i can lock the phone and after a few minutes when i turn it back on - like if i put it in my pocket then get it back out a few minutes later - it has a crap load of apps running. it will have amazon mp3, browser, settings, gmail, market, facebook, voice search and places running.

is there something better to use?

2) are there any other apps that you guys would recommended?

3) what is the name of the app that you can store your apps on your microSD card? i know that i need to root it to do so. i've never done a droid but done plenty of iphones/pods.

4) what is a good root file for first time users? i'm especially interested in wifi or tethering with having to go through verizon.

i know this is a lot of questions and i appreciate any helpful answers. if i had more time to search it out i would, but right now between working full-time, school full-time, and full-time prego wifey i don't have a lot of internet time to look around. i really do appreciate any help and insight!

hey guys, whats up. my name is justin. i just recently purchased a Droid and had some questions for you seasoned Android guys on here. i'm running 2.2 as well.

i installed Task Manager by Rhythm Software and it acts pretty quirky. i can go to the app and kill everything running like Gmail, Browser, Messaging, etc, and it will show that they are all killed. well, i can lock the phone and after a few minutes when i turn it back on - like if i put it in my pocket then get it back out a few minutes later - it has a crap load of apps running. it will have amazon mp3, browser, settings, gmail, market, facebook, voice search and places running.

is there something better to use?

2) are there any other apps that you guys would recommended?

3) what is the name of the app that you can store your apps on your microSD card? i know that i need to root it to do so. i've never done a droid but done plenty of iphones/pods.

4) what is a good root file for first time users? i'm especially interested in wifi or tethering with having to go through verizon.

i know this is a lot of questions and i appreciate any helpful answers. if i had more time to search it out i would, but right now between working full-time, school full-time, and full-time prego wifey i don't have a lot of internet time to look around. i really do appreciate any help and insight!

You have no need for any app killer of any kind especially when running 2.2. You also don't need to root to run apps2sd with 2.2, it does so automatically with the apps that are developed to work with Froyo. As for rooting, go to the rooting subforum for your phone in the All Things Root forum, they will have step by step processes to do so.

Upvote 0
good apps:

i use yellow book app a lot, you can search for a business then click on the number to call, click on the address to navigate to!

OI shopping list - great checklist app, lets you cross off items and shake the phone to remove them

gstrings - if you play a stringed instrument this one is awesome, its a tuner!

color flashlight - just what it says, its a flashlight

handcent is a great text messaging app

dolphin browser is by far the best mobile browser IMO.. has an add on that lets you quickly switch between "mobile view and desktop view" of websites

pandora is a great streaming radio

nesoid is a nintendo emulator

keepassdroid - lets you save and encrypt all your username/passwords

package tracker - put in your tracking number, select the carrier, and it gives you a notification when your package is delivered. You can also check the status of the package with it

v cast song id - hold your phone near a speaker and it will tell you the song name, artist, album, you name it

hope that helps, and welcome to the forum!!!

Upvote 0
None of the above. Spend some more time learning Android before you start messing with task killers. Don't assume that you know how it works or you'll end up causing yourself more problems like many other Android n00bs.

A good root file? Do you mean ROM? If so, you just need to try them out and see what suits you best and works well on your particular Droid. It's not a one-size-fits-all world. Spend some time reading up in the Droid hacking and ROM forums for ideas.

i know this is a lot of questions and i appreciate any helpful answers. if i had more time to search it out i would, but right now between working full-time, school full-time, and full-time prego wifey i don't have a lot of internet time to look around.
Put rooting and custom ROM's on the back burner then. Come back to them when you do have time. You need to be able to dedicate a little time to reading, testing, etc. If you rush it, you'll just have problems and you won't be well-equipped to deal with them (which is also going to be time consuming).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones