• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fix for a2dp not autoconnecting!

lburgguy

Feb 28, 2011
Greetings all. I recently found I have a similar problem that others are having, namely the media player (a2dp) not autoconnecting over bluetooth to the headunit. In my case, I could get the phone and the media to pair and connect to my headunit but any subsequent tries only the phone would connect and I'd have to toggle the media off and on again to get it to connect. I am running Android 2.2.1 but I think the problem is on other versions as well.

I found a solution to this and it works!

I downloaded an awesome app "A2DP Volume" (I have version 2.5.1). It has many cool features such as reading texts to you as you drive, adjusting volume levels automatically, remembering where you parked your car, turning off wifi upon start and other things. But it also has a feature to force a connect between the a2dp and the headunit.

Assuming you are in the same situation as me, open the app.
Click on the connection that is listed there for your headunit (mine says "Xplod" since it's a Sony).
Write down the MAC address it shows.
Click "edit"
Scroll down to where it says "Also connect to bluetooth device" and enter that MAC address.
Click on "save".

You should now be good to go and your phone will now autoconnect to your headunit each time.

Thanks Jim for writing such a cool app and I hope this little writeup can help folks in the future.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones