[Fix] Stock recovery coming back/Custom recovery wont stick

Last Updated:

1. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member This Topic's Starter

First off let me say that I was wrong about this issue. Its not an issue with Easy root it is just something built into android. So I apologize to anyone I argued this subject with but specifically Patch. Its also not an issue with rom manager.

This applys to users that after flashing a custom recovery they can boot into it once but the next time you try to boot into recovery it has reverted to stock.

This mostly happens to users of easy root or users that use my guide for rooting using Linux

So for the fix.

Download this file and place it in the root of your sd card.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7223192/install-recovery.sh

Download Terminal Emulator from the market. The one by the dev Jack Palevich.
    Open it and type the following commands.

su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    dd if=/sdcard/install-recovery.sh of=/system/etc/install-recovery.sh
    chmod 550 /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
    sync

after that just flash the custom recovery of your choice and you should be good to go.

I tested this on my phone and another user tested it for me and it worked for both of us. If anyone has an issue let me know. This issue is so sporadic that its hard to have people test the fix.

Advertisement
    jiddahidda and The FlyerFly like this.
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Could this be an issue with folks that have applied the OTA update? IIRC, the script for the original OTA that I got included commands to replace the recovery that was on the phone....

3. OMJ

yea its built into the OTAs. It happens on 2.1 as well and probably happens on 2.0 and 2.1 although I didnt test it on them.

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Interesting. Sneak lil buggers lol...

5. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

so if you have FRG01B is this needed? not sure I am following who/who does not need this?

6. patch

patch Well-Known Member

Thanks for the humbleness and also following up on this issue OMJ.

When I get home will take a look at my current one and compare with this version, great find.

7. OMJ

The script is not there at all for you currently but one of the .rc files refers to it thats why I tried it out.

8. OMJ

you only need to do this if you are having the issue of the stock recovery coming back after flashing a custom recovery.

9. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

since the last official update I got from VZW was 2.0.1 then this should'nt ever come into play on my phone .... correct ?

I'm getting paranoid about switching up roms :p lol

10. OMJ

no need for you to worry about this at all

gnath9 likes this.
  11. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

thank you ...

I feel so much better now I may have to stop for Happy Hour on my way home and flash a new rom !!! :D

12. patch

patch Well-Known Member

FYI -- I did have the file (dated August 1, 2008) and the script for the most part is same, but the parameters to the applypatch commands are definitely different.

13. OMJ

weird I didnt have the file at all on my phone

14. Trofn8er

Trofn8er Active Member

I installed sp_recovery using rsd lite to update 2.1 a while back before I decided to root. I used easyroot and then installed rom manager. I tried flashing the latest DM recovery through rom manager but it kept hanging up with the exclamation point. I then flashed a older version of DM then I installed BB.4 with smoked glass theme and phone has been working great. I just tried today to see if I can boot into recovery using the power button while holding x.....didn't work...tried it 2 times and both times it gets hung up on the Motorola screen...pulled battery and turned phone back on normal and phone works great.....I want to make sure I can boot into recovery in case somethining happens. any ideas or suggestions?

15. myko14

myko14 Well-Known Member

Here is one for you. I manually upgraded to 2.2 before I rooted. I rooted with Easy Root. I then used ROM manager to make a Nandroid backup. I flashed to Frozen Yogurt 1.4 ROM. This took a couple of times for Clockwork to stick without giving me an error. I then tried to flash Smoked Frozen Yogurt 1.4. When I rebooted it loads the droid screen, then the red eye, then hangs and goes back to the droid screen and repeats.

I got some advice to use RSD lite to flash SPRecovery. RSD Lite didn't recognize my phone (no device shown in the grid) on my 64 bit desktop so I loaded it on my 32 bit laptop with Windows XP. This connected to a phone but Device Properties read N/A for ESN, Technology, Software version, etc. I tried to flash SPRecovery but it failed after executing 100% then a long re-enumeration process.

Please help me...

16. glitch32

glitch32 Well-Known Member

Interesting... I'm glad you found a fix for it. I flashed SPRecovery using the Linux method, then flashed CW and I only had a little trouble flashing it from RM. The first didn't stick but RM told me it failed, so I tried again and I've been OK. Since then I've flashed a couple ROMs and it's been working fine so far.

17. patch

patch Well-Known Member

EasyFix :p (and should be safer) will work for everyone. :) I've not testing since I still have the original Verizon recovery.

1. Rename /system/recovery-from-boot.p to /system/recovery-from-boot.p.disabled (with RootExplorer)

IMHO this a bug in ROM Manager and you will see it fixed eventually. There is a new feature in the official "Google Froyo" that they don't handle.

18. OMJ

glad you found an easier fix. I still disagree that this is a rom manager issue though. Flashing recoveries with flash_image through adb or terminal still has the issue occur and that is the traditional way of flashing recoveries in android.

19. The FlyerFly

The FlyerFly Active Member

Thanks for the fix, OMJ. :D I had been having these issues with Recovery ever since flashing the stock 2.2 update w/ root. Here is the thread I started for it. http://androidforums.com/droid-all-...-i-go-about-updating-my-rooted-2-1-droid.html

However, after applying your fix, I flashed Clockwork. When I tried to boot into Recovery both while holding "X" and through ROM Manager, it was freezing at the "M" logo. I decided to try flashing SPRecovery, and it loaded up both ways every time. Then, I went back to Clockwork and it is now loading up every time as well.

As for the file I placed on the root of the SDCard, can I delete it now that the fix is complete?

20. OMJ

yea you can delete it

21. fozzy501

fozzy501 Active Member

hey i need help i cant go back to stock 2.2 how can i do it i backed up everything but i wont work... help

22. teddyearp

teddyearp Well-Known Member

what exactly did you want to do go back to 2.2 or your backup or is it because you wont work we need to know more details of what you want to do how you got to where you need help and more details of any error message because what you said isnt enough so please let us know do you want to unroot your phone or restore your backup and if so whats the exact error in doing so or if you want to unroot how did you try and where did you fail and so forth and so on thanks because i dont work without more details...thanks

23. pb5525

pb5525 Member

My phone turns on, sprint logo flashes, then the word "android" Thats it, 5min go by and it goes black. My computer says it is an unknow device. I cant do anything, how can I load a custom recovery when it is a BRICK!? It is a softWARE issue. I read that I can re-install the O/S froyo 2.2.2. I can not locate this one file - LS679ZVC_11.SC_11.P60674.cab does anyone have a clue?please help - pb5525@live.com

24. teddyearp

teddyearp Well-Known Member

If you are seeing the Sprint logo, you do not have a Motorola Droid A855 phone, so please find out your phone model and try that forum section.

good luck

25. justgreg87

justgreg87 New Member

i am having the exact same problem that is listed here. however the dropbox link is bad.