• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Fixed]Functions...gone!!

ArgyleRob

Nov 24, 2009
Well, I've had my Hero (G2 T-Mobile UK) for about ten days and feel I made a great choice. However, I noticed today that the auto rotation functionality has stopped. I've checked it is selected in settings and have callibrated too but it no longer works. Also, from the standard music player I cannot get back to the album cover-flo display, only list views and current track etc. The original view of the installed album art you can flick through has gone - or at least I can't find my way back to it. I updated to latest firmware before using the phone and can only think that one of the apps I've loaded has messed up these features? The apps I got were all recommended ones from another thread somewhere so shouldn't be buggy but I did grab about six, one after the other which maybe the problem? The day after installing them I switched the phone on next day and got some kind of reboot screen?? Maybe the phone needs a soft/hard reset but will this wipe it and how do I do it - or should I delete my apps?
Hope someone can help cos I love the phone and don't really want to do without these features...
:thinking:

Try restarting your phone, sometimes the in accelerometer gets out of sync, that just fix it.

I don'y use my hero for music, but i beleive it doesnt have cover flow when browsing albums, you only get cover flow to flip through playing tracks? by the way, there are other music apps on the market that include cover flow.

A soft reset is just turning your phone on and off again :p

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply lekky. I tried the soft reset but no fix I'm afraid. I've removed Tunewiki which wasn't much good but that hasn't helped either. The Apps I downloaded were Advanced task killer, beeb player, last.fm, layar, pkt auctions ebay, shopsavvy, the weather channel and wikitude. I did grab six, one after the other but doubt that'd cause it do you think?

Upvote 0
I think you are going to have to do a factory reset unfortunately. I doubt its app related.

You can backup your data and apps before you do a factory reset, and then reinstate them after the reset to make sure you keep all your old stuff.

The other option is to ask T Mobile for a replacement handset, but I'm almost certain they will just tell you to do a hard reset instead to fix it.

The AppManager application can backup your apps, but I think there are some more complete backup apps on the market to backup everything, hopefully someone can help more in suggesting one for you.

Upvote 0
So, after pulling the battery and sim I did a hard reset at work...didn't work. I decided to call T-Mobile which was a big mistake. 20 minutes of music with intermittent conversation trying to explain the problem and I get transferred to Technical Support. I explained to him what I had done and was told "that's not a full reset - a full reset will remove all your data from the phone". Duh. So he eventually realised I had done a factory reset (30 minutes in by now) and said "quickest way is take it to T-Mobile shop and they'll send it away and...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr". That's when I hung up.
Anyway, I get home and think maybe I'll reinstall the ROM update I put on the phone when I bought it ten days ago. Just flash t over the top, you never know. So halfway through the laptop decides to install important updates while I'm out of the room and restarts itself with the phone on the RUU USB screen. Stuck. Frozen.

BRICKED.:eek:

Or maybe not. Pulled the battery and restarted and got the main screen. Had another go at applying the ROM again (even though it's same one as on the phone), completed safely this time. Got settings back on and hey presto - autorotate and album art scrolling returns!!!

I got lucky I guess.:D

Thanks for your responses - I still love the phone, shame about the Network...

Upvote 0
Solved!! To anyone who may have experiences the same fault it seems to be none of the above. The morning after, the autorotate had gone again!! Later at work I pondered if the case I had bought for it may be the problem. Pulled it out of the case, autorotate returned. Back in the case, no autorotate!! The case I had bought was a flip style case which was secured at the top end of the phone with a (hidden) MAGNETIC catch. I don't pretend to know how the autorotate function works but it's clear that the magnet within the case interferes with it!! I bought the case because I felt the phone needed some kind of protection but I reckon it'll be a slip case from now on. I post this update in case anyone else has the same problem and goes all round the houses for a solution as I did!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones