• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Flashing image to android box.

gck

Lurker
Jan 24, 2017
Hi,

First post here. I just have a couple of questions on flashing the Android boxes.

I bought a T96 pro from Amazon, here are the stats:
CPU: Amlogic S912 Octa-Core ARM Cortex-A53 64-bit @2GHz
GPU: Mali-T820MP3 GPU@750MHz
RAM:DDR3 3GB
ROM: Onboard eMMC Flash 16GB
Bluetooth : BT4.1
Expand Memory: Micro SD Card ( support 4 - 64GB)(not pack with SD)

Video:
Ethernet: 1000Mbps LAN
WIFI: IEEE 802.11 ac/b/g/n,2.4G/5G
Video/Picture Decoding:
* AMLogic video Engine(AVE)with dedicated hardware decoders and encoders
* Supports multiple "secured"video decoding sessions and simultaneous decoding and encoding
* Video/Picture Decoding
-VP9 Profile-2 up to 4K*2K@60fps
-H.265 HEVC MP-10@L5.1 up to 4K*2K@60fps
-H.264 AVC HP@L5.1 up to 4K*2K@30fps
-H.264 MVC up to 1080P@60fps
-MPEG-4 ASP@L5 up to 1080P@60fps(ISO-14496)
-WMV/VC-1 SP/MP/AP up to 1080P@60fps
-AVS-P16(AVS+) /AVS-P2 JiZhun Profile up to 1080P@60fps
-MPEG2 MP/HL up to 1080P@60fps
-MPEG1 MP/HL up to 1080P@60fps
-RealVideo 8/9/10 up to 1080P@60fps
Low latency 1080P H.264 60fps encoder
* HDR10 and HLG HDR Video Processing
* Supports *.mkv,*.mpg,*.wmv,*.mpeg,*.dat,*.avi,*.mov,*.iso,*.mp4,*.rm and*.jpg file formats* Video/Picture Encoding
-Independent JPEG and H.264 encoder with configurable performance/bit-rate
-JPEG image encoding
-H.264 video encoding up to 1080P@60fps with low latency

Audio Format:
Low power MediaCPU with DSP audio processing
Supports MP3,AAC,WMA,RM,FLAC,Ogg and programmable with 7.1/5.1 down-mixing
Built-in stereo audio DAC
Built-in SPDIF/IEC958 and PCM serial digital audio input/output
Supports concurrent dual audio stereo channel output with combination of analog+PCMo or I2S+PCM

Button & Ports:
2* USB:1* USB Host Port ,1*USB Device
1*DC in Jack
1*4K*2K UHD Output, HD 2.0a
1*AV Port
SPDIF: 1*Digital Audio output
1*RJ45
1* Micro SD Card
Power adapter: 5V 2A

but the software is really buggy, and can't seem to get Kodi to work like it does on out other Android devices. I have reset the box, removed and fully reinstalled Kodi, and nothing seems to help make the box run smoothly. I have a downloaded flash for the box, and can find the file when in the restore menu of the android box. However, I get an error when trying to install the file, something about the file being incorrect.

Now, I have looked at the stats of a box that looks identical...the H96pro:

Chipset: S912 Octa-core cortex-A53 frequency :2.0G
GPU: ARM Mali-T820MP3 GPU up to 750MHz
RAM: 3GB DDR3
ROM: 32GB EMMC
Power Supply: DC 5V 2A
Card reader: SD/SDHC/MMC cards

Main Features

3D: Hardward 3D graphics acceleration
Ethernet:Standard 10/100M/1000M , Gigabit RJ-45
WIFI: 2.4G +5G Dual WIFI
Bluetooth 4.1
Wired/wireless mouse/ keyboard supported
Support the latest HEVC (H.265)&VP9 decoding
Support 4K*2K Super HD video
Main Item Size: 10.7 * 10.7 * 2 cm
Main Item Weight: 350g
Package Size: 23* 6 * 14 cm

Accessory

1 * H96 Pro Plus Android TV Box
1 * Power Adapter (5V 2A )
1 * Remote Control
1 * User Manual
1 * HDMI Cable

The H96pro seems to be the legit box, and the t96 might be a knock off. However, both units are nearly identical as far as their hardware goes.

I was wondering if I could install the h96pro software on the box without bricking it, as I feel the software is the issue, and not the hardware.

Please let me know.

both units are nearly identical

If you are absolutely sure that the hardware is exactly the same on both boxes you may have a good result.
If the boxes are nearly identical the chances of success diminish greatly.

If you have already tried this with the correct flash and it has failed then I'd bet a months nose hairs that a different one is also going to fail.

If the box you are transferring the image to is of no use or value to you, then go for it.
In my opinion, the chances of a successful transfer are small.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
of course it matters if I brick it. That is why I am asking.

Spent over a $100 on this unit, not even a month ago....not looking to just brick the unit.

When I was involved with sat equipment, you could copy box flashes to multiple units if they had the same hardware.

These 2 boxes are identical, next to the size of the storage, and the name. If the hardware is the same, how can the flash cause the unit to become bricked?

Is there a stock android 6.0 flash that I could write to the box instead, and add what apps I need after that?

I am seeking advice, as I do not want to make this unit a dead unit.

Upvote 0
There is no stock version of Android, it has to be built specifically for the device its installed on. Even if the hardware is kind of identical, there's no guarantees the software/firmware would be the same.

If the box is only a month old and the hardware is virtually identical to the other and the problems with it persist after a factory reset, I'd be inclined to say you have a dud and I'd take it in for a warranty return.

Upvote 0
I have been offered a refund by the seller, but I would have to foot the bill for return shipping.

I am not new to flashing devices or working with Android boxes. What I would love to be able to do is remove all the junk on the box. I managed to get the T96 to flash with the flash provided by the seller, but I have the same issues.

Exodus is always no sources. Phoenix just gives the twirly bird for 30 seconds and does nothing.

Alluc installed and works, but after every show it says the app is not compatable, and to check the log for issues. If I power off the box, and then back on again, the Alluc will work, but just until the show finishes, and then the same error.

I have an older Android box running 4.4, with 1gb/8 gb, and it has none of these issues.

Same inet connection, same power source. One works, one doesn't. I believe it is something in the software that is causing the issue to happen, and that is why I am trying to replace the software.

Upvote 0
Also... just because the CPU and the Android OS are the same and the box looks identical, that is no indication that the internal drivers and software used to power the video (GPU), WiFi, BlueTooth or other internal components are also the same.

Every manufacturer takes a different approach on how their devices are powered and what internal software is used.

There are other things to consider. Android runs on different runtime platforms, ARM being the latest.

If the device is still operational, flashing the unit should be the very last option you should consider.
Uninstalling and disabling the loaded apps and then re-installing only the ones you need should be the first approach.

Out of interest - did you buy a box 'pre-loaded' with apps?
If so - get rid of ALL OF THEM including KODI.

Try to start from a clean slate... You may find that performance improves and bugs no longer happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Also... just because the CPU and the Android OS are the same and the box looks identical, that is no indication that the internal drivers and software used to power the video (GPU), WiFi, BlueTooth or other internal components are also the same.

Every manufacturer takes a different approach on how their devices are powered and what internal software is used.

There are other things to consider. Android runs on different runtime platforms, ARM being the latest.

If the device is still operational, flashing the unit should be the very last option you should consider.
Uninstalling and disabling the loaded apps and then re-installing only the ones you need should be the first approach.

Out of interest - did you buy a box 'pre-loaded' with apps?
If so - get rid of ALL OF THEM including KODI.

Try to start from a clean slate... You may find that performance improves and bugs no longer happen.
I appreciate your opinion and that is why I am asking for advice here. I am not new to kodi, just new to the android boxes. I have been an android user for 5 years.

I have removed kodi completely, and have the same issues with both the version downloaded and installed from kodi's site and the version you can install from the playstore. I have tried both wireless and hardwired. My inet speed is at 166.9 mbps wirelessly on speedtest.net app. I have no internet issues in my home, and my router is only 25 foot from the android box. I have my CompTIA Network+ WCNA certificates, so I am sure.

I have removed all apps loaded on the box, and still have the same issues...no sources. I can browse the internet on the box with no issues, and can download and view files just fine. I have read that the t96pro and the h96pro are made at the same factory.

Is there any way to look at the firmware on the box, and see what was altered? I also do programming and would be keen to check it out and see if something is buggered in the firmware causing the issues.

Upvote 0
If you want to make any alterations to the OS yourself, you'd need full read/write access to the system partition and for that, you'd need to be rooted. I don't even think that would be possible on 6.0 as there are checks carried out during the boot process which prevent the device from booting if any changes have been made to /system and to circumvent these checks you need an unlocked bootloader and modified kernel.

If you want to alter the firmware yourself and flash an alternative version you've tweaked yourself, you'd need an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery which again has to be built specifically for the device it's being used on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones