• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root flashing roms and kernels

I haven't seen the answer to my questions yet if it has been asked and answered just point me in the right direction..

The question I have is when you flash a new rom do you have to re-download and install apps or is there a way to keep them?

A second question is what is the best way to back up a rom you liked so can just bounce back and forth to try and compare which one you like better?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

I did get the rom manager and titanium backup (free version) when I installed SR3.5 is when I noticed that everything that had previously installed and set up was gone Including the titanium backup... unless I am just not seeing where it all got placed. I am still learnin my way around all of this and pretty new at it ... luckily I am not technically challenged I just get distracted and sidetracked when I am doing searches to find information :(

I am thinkin I'll D/L Titanium backup again and then try installing another rom to see if I might be able to figure it out a little more since that is the best way to learn new things.

Thanks for the quick reply and any and all more pointers anyone has to offer will be greatly appreciated :)

Upvote 0
once you have all your apps installed you have to go into titanium backup and back them up by running a batch operation. I know its confusing at first i had the same issues. Then when you install a new rom you can go into titanium and restore apps. With rom manager it is the easiest way to make a nandroid backup, so once you get all your apps and accounts setup on a rom make a backup of it in rom manager, that way you can switch back and forth fairly easily between roms that you have setup and want to try out.

Reactions: Calikid1975
Upvote 0
If you get the paid version of Ti, you can batch restore all apps with a single click. Also you can use a Nandroid backup (either made using Rom Manager or directly in Clockwork) to back up Roms once you get them set up. Then if you load a new Rom and want to go back to a previous setup, it will be an exact restore including apps, data, settings, the works.

Here's a writeup that may be of interest to you:
http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/233251-how-titanium-backup-tips.html

Reactions: Calikid1975
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones