• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Forced A2SD

photek1000

May 14, 2010
I have this weekend applied Froyo to my Desire using DeFroST 2.1 then 2.2 and found that I ran out of App space quicker than before so I'm making an assumption that the new ROM takes up more room than the old 2.1. stock ROM even with the native App2SD in place.

Due to this I have applied this A2SD method

Code:
adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

And can now send all my apps to the SD from the app manager.

Each app though looks like it still leaves a footprint in the internal memory, is this the Dalvik-Cache element or would I gain more space if I factory wiped the phone and reapplied all my apps straight to SD with the above mod.

Either way though i have gained back 40mb of internal, and I'm loving the Froyo experiance especially pushing web pages from my PC to the handset OTA.

Don't worry I was being a kn0b.

I have now, using ROM Manager, formatted my SD to have the correct partitions, and now post re-installing the apps I had moved over earlier used a mighty 2mb of internal space lol

Yes it dropped from 117mb to 115mb, I think I could get used to that.

Now to re-load the SD, but at least it's a clean(ish) slate.

Upvote 0

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah :p

But I got it working, and now everything is sweet, I waited my normal period of time with a new handset and then went for a custom rom, same as my last two WinMo phones.

I imagine though, like those phones, I will try a few before I am truly happy, but right now with DeFrost 2.2 everything I want is working, and with A2SD+ working I don't have to worry about Apps taking all my space for a while yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones