• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root formatting system?

New Rising

Android Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2011
I have never done this before flashing a rom, should i be? I've read that you should format your system in cwr before flashing a rom. I just do the usual wipe data/cache/dalvik in safestrap and have never had any problems. What does formatting do?

Thanks

Every developer states to format /system from the 'mounts & storage' section of recovery. If you choose to ignore this expert advice, please don't come back with complaints about the rom. Formatting /system clears out the existing operating system so that there are no remnants remaining when the new operating system is put into place.

Reactions: New Rising
Upvote 0
Every developer states to format /system from the 'mounts & storage' section of recovery. If you choose to ignore this expert advice, please don't come back with complaints about the rom. Formatting /system clears out the existing operating system so that there are no remnants remaining when the new operating system is put into place.

Not every developer states to do this in there install instructions.

I have never done this before flashing a rom, should i be? I've read that you should format your system in cwr before flashing a rom. I just do the usual wipe data/cache/dalvik in safestrap and have never had any problems. What does formatting do?

Thanks

It's a good thing to do especially if the developer tells you to in there install instructions but I think most developers have the rom wipe system as part of the install. I always do it whenever I install a new rom just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: New Rising
Upvote 0
It really depends on the ROM. On the CM9 and AOKP builds from dhacker, you shouldn't wipe system. It has a special script that saves the GApps and restores them.

When you're going to a new ROM, you need to wipe nearly everything, including system, data, cache, dalvik.

But the problem right now is, that I cannot boot up my phone - it just shows the logo. Could you please tell me, how to get back in? (The ROM that I was unsuccessfully trying to use was CM9 - according to these instructions - http://www.modaco.com/topic/351670-ics-cm9-404-coldfusionx-for-the-zte-blade-rom-updated-2806/)

Thanks a lot, again :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Did you flash the ROM from that page? Because that's for the Blade, not the Bionic.

He said he had a blade in his first post. He probably did a search just looking for help since he wiped his system and this thread came up in the search.

Jaanbi I don't know much about the Blade but your probably going to need some sort of recovery software (if ones available for the blade) if your phone won't boot and you can't get back into cwr.
Did you flash the ROM after you formatted system or did you just format and reboot?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones