• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Free network extender arrived today!

Retired Guy

Feb 27, 2011
This thread is a follow on to

http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/250903-verizon-sent-me-network-extender.html

First impressions:
Minimal instructions in box.
Anything beyond basic plug-n-play Instruction sheet will require using the online PDF of the owners manual.
Took about two minutes to hook up.
About 3 minutes to acquire GPS position, with the unit setting on the window ledge.
GPS remained stable after moving unit to computer desk, about 3 foot from window.
Initial "System failure light", unplugged power, powered up again, and fault cleared.
Immediate phone capture, with no input from myself.
Unit coverage is excellent throughout house, end of yard (Another 40 foot) and across the street. In other words, once captured, unit will provide coverage everywhere I might expect to use phone while at home.
No stats, but 3G seems to move data quite well.
Using "My Verizon" control panel to set phone access was painless, and very straight forward.

Glitch later on with internet connectivity, suspected caused by me plugging unit into Verizon's Westell Modem/Router instead of the Lynksys router which is plugged into the westell, due to better Wifi coverage from Lynksys unit.

Overall. much better coverage then I expected, with total user transparency.

Best $250.00 that I never spent.

There is no Verizon "promotion" going on that I can see. It's a matter of finding a Verizon Rep who wants to go outside the posted promotions, ask their manager for approval, and do the right thing for a Verizon customer. In my original e-mail, I flat out said that in some instances, Verizon was providing them for free. So I wasn't asking if there was something special going on, but knew that Reps had the authority to make this offer, and how could I also get one.

Several things that I mentioned during the course of the conversation with the Rep that called:
Our entire 1800 unit sub-development suffers from weak coverage
We have been with Verizon 10+ years
We currently have 5 cell phones with them
Landline and Internet are Verizon
Perhaps if you can recontact them, and deal with a different Rep, you can make some progress.
Good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones