• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Free SMSing: US 2 CA App?

Upvote 0
Well, if they support SMS by email you can always use that old workaround. I wish someone would make an app for this that would make it semi-auto to perform, then we could all ditch our texting plans.

Example: 555-555-5555@vtext.com (exclude the dashes, just added here to show it's a phone #)

In the "TO" field of the email, enter in the above format using the recipient's phone number and the appropriate carrier ending. Not sure if it's supported by carriers in Canada or not. Here's some domains for the US:

T-Mobile: @tmomail.net
Virgin: @vmobl.com
Cingular: @cingularme.com
Sprint: @messaging.sprintpcs.com
Verizon: @vtext.com (data only)
Verizon: @vzwpics.com (pics/vids)
Nextel: @messaging.nextel.com
ATT: @mms.att.net
Alltel: @message.alltel.com
SunCom: @tms.suncom.com
Voicestream: @voicestream.net
MetroPCS: @mymetropcs.com

Disclaimer: I got the above info from other sites, not sure if they are still valid or if some could have changed due to mergers, etc.

Also, I believe you're limited to 160 characters in the subject and main body (added together for 160). Not sure if this would be a suitable solution but answers aren't exactly dropping from the sky so I figured it was worth a shot. :)

Reactions: PatKitKat
Upvote 0
I just posted an answer to your question in your welcome thread. It occurred to me to search out the thread for this, sorry. I think that an IM client is your best bet, but...

0sync0 is on to something with Google Voice, if you have a spare invite you could get them signed up with a USA area code, even one that's local to where you are. I think that would make it appear to Verizon that you are only texting someone near by, and if they have a GV app on there phone or just log into the computer they can respond to you easily as well.
**Although, before you do that make sure Canada numbers can have Google Voice accounts.**

Upvote 0
Try these:
Rogers Wireless: [10-digit phone number]@pcs.rogers.com
Fido: [10-digit phone number]@fido.ca
Telus: [10-digit phone number]@msg.telus.com
Bell Mobility: [10-digit phone number]@txt.bell.ca
Kudo Mobile: [10-digit phone number]@msg.koodomobile.com
MTS: [10-digit phone number]@text.mtsmobility.com
President’s Choice: [10-digit phone number]@txt.bell.ca
Sasktel: [10-digit phone number]@sms.sasktel.com
Solo: [10-digit phone number]@txt.bell.ca
Virgin: [10-digit phone number]@vmobile.ca

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones