• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"free" tethering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read my entire post before replying with a typical flame response or bashing me for being a scammer or cheapskate

I was lurking around for sh.its n' giggles to see if something existed and the app "FoxFi" kept coming up. Does this app just simply allow you to perform the act of tethering for free? or is it letting you tether without using the data on your mobile plan aka tethering for free?

So If the FoxFi is not what i was thinking, does anything exist or is it possible to tether an android... more specifically a G.Nex for free?

Let me be more clear. Is it possible to tether a phone to a laptop for free without consuming data on your provider data plan. Or maybe something to mask or "trick" your service provider into thinking your using alot less then you really are

I will probly get flamed for this thread. Im just asking if its possible. Im not saying im going to do it. If it is illegal i couldnt risk the consequences of being caught anyway. Im a social service worker, specializing with youth cases. Just being accused/charged with a crime would turn my life upside down. How could I go into a home and remove children from an unsafe environment, 90% of which are because if illegal activities. How could I do my job if im facing charges for theft or fraud? Does that make sense? Just want to make sure im crystal clear

I was lurking around for sh.its n' giggles to see if something existed and the app "FoxFi" kept coming up. Does this app just simply allow you to perform the act of tethering for free? or is it letting you tether without using the data on your mobile plan aka tethering for free?

So If the FoxFi is not what i was thinking, does anything exist or is it possible to tether an android... more specifically a G.Nex for free?

Let me be more clear. Is it possible to tether my phone to my laptop for free without consuming data on my provider data plan. Or maybe something to mask or "trick" your service provider into thinking your using alot less then you really are

I will probly get flamed for this thread. Im just asking if its possible. Im not saying im going to do it. If it is illegal i couldnt risk the consequences of being caught anyway. Im a social service working specializing with youth cases. Just being accused/charged with a crime would turn my life upside down

No, and what you're asking is illegal and immoral.

And from a technical standpoint, it can't be done.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
1) Tethering for free isn't illegal. There is no law saying you can't do it. A SWAT team won't break down your door because you're tethering without a plan. I like the term 'unauthorized' tethering, because you're doing it without authorization from the carrier. The consequences could range from your carrier automatically including the plan on your bill up to cancelling your service.

2) Unauthorized tethering is completely possible. It's just registered as normal data from your phone. So your carrier probably wouldn't even know unless your data consumption skyrocketed all of the sudden. And no, there's no way to mask how much data you're using. They measure from their servers, not your device.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones