• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Freedompop Optimus F3 custom ROM?

masterchief3k

Apr 30, 2013
Anyone have any ideas how I'd go about setting up the freedompop services on a flashed ROM? I know they allow BYOD so it can't be any more than just installing their app, right?

I ask because I don't like their stock rom, and I was fond of using the AdvancedStock V8 rom when I was with Virgin Mobile...

Plus, their F3 was only $30, with the first month of service included. Better than their ZTE force deal, IMO. $5 more for a better (also opinion, since you can OC with this ROM/kernel and surpass the clock speed of the force dual core) phone.

Also, could anyone help to supply the FreedomPop stock ROM? I know I won't get support from FP if I flash a different rom, but I just love AS V8.

Reactions: LogosA
I went ahead and flashed AS V8, and it works perfectly. I probably didn't have to, but I also flashed this APN zip from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2798619

Then I installed freedompop's "text and talk" app, and it instantly registered my phone and stuff, and I was good to go :) A much better experience than the junk stock ROM. So nice of them to include a custom recovery. I'll update if I run into any issues..

Upvote 0
It worked EXACTLY as it should. I was getting 33 down/ 8 up on LTE. Their "throttle" is actually way better than the other prepaid sprint MVNOs, since they really can't throttle too much, as their voice service is data based. If you leave it on 4G, it goes down to about 512kbps both ways, but if you switch to CDMA only, you get the maximum speed your 3G can offer, for me that's about 2.7 mbit down, 1 up. Only difference is there is a 20-30 ms latency difference. BUT, oddly enough, I get a "moderate" NAT type while playing on console games (rarely do however, PC gamer here). Rather than a strict only NAT when I was with VM or boost. That's kinda neat.

Pretty happy. I love the rom, and how it works perfectly with FP. Battery life and overall snappiness of the system improved immensely, too. :) The only issue is with the SD swap script and with swiftkey keyboard. Every boot, you gotta go in and download the language pack. This was reported by someone else, and it's unfixable as far as I know. It's gotta do something with the mount point, confusing the keyboard somehow. Oh well, as long as the battery doesn't die out, and as long as I don't need to reboot, it's a non-issue.

The phone came from freedompop shipped with TWRP 2.8.0.0. When I ordered their ZTE force deal, I got two. The first one took about 3 weeks, and the second one took less than a week to arrive. This F3 shipped fast, and it only took 5 days to arrive. An interesting note, the first Force I received came with ICS, and the second one came with JB. The second one also came with a real ZTE battery, the first came with some horrible quality one just enough to get by with. The one with JB performs much better as well.

Enough going on a random tangent though. My new daily works great, and i'm going to enjoy the savings!

Upvote 0
They sometimes have reallllllly good phone deals. I would wait until then. The F3 for $30 with the first month included was a steal. Before that they had the ZTE force deal. $20 for unlimited everything and the "throttle" is 4 times faster on 4G, and if you use 3G, it's whatever 3G you can get, full speed! With my first GB of full speed LTE so far, i've been able to download 20+ GB on it though if done in the first day. I live in a very small town though, and it takes them a while to catch up to my usage

Upvote 0
So, the debloated stock rom with the V8 worked good for the Freedom Phone? I have another F3 through Freedom Pop coming and I wanted to make sure it worked. :) Good to see it does.

Another thing I would love to test would be if the same would be true of the Sprint version of Cyanogen Mod for this phone, considering Freedom Pop rents their data from Sprint.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have a freedompop phone. I'm using twrp 2.8.0.0. I'm on cyanogenmod 11. I used the freedompop apn fix from the xda forums and flashed it after I flashed cyanogenmod and the gapps. Then installed the freedompop messaging app, works perfect (expect no camera, don't care though).

Do you have a backup of the Stock Freedompop ROM for the LG F3?
What version of the messaging app are you using?
Do you have any APK backups of the previous Freedompop Messaging App?

Upvote 0
Nope, didn't backup anything. Just wiping the phone, installed several different roms to try them out. I'm on the beta cm11 virgin mobile rom. Works really well, way faster, way better compatability with apps. I installed the freedompop messaging app from the playstore, when you run it, it says, locating user.... user found. Then it opens and its all ready to go with my phone number and everything.

Upvote 0
I just tried both CM 11 and CarbonRom betas as of 20150905 along with the latest FreedomPop apn fix from the XDA forums. Both worked for text messaging and data, but the FreedomPop messaging app would crash attempting to place or receive voice calls.

I reinstalled the original shipped ROM. I have put a copy of the FreedomPop ls720zv8 ROM in my Dropbox. It is nearly stock, but may have some of the original shipped apps deleted as I did a factory reset on it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87780569/freedompop-ls720zv8-twrp.7z
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87780569/freedompop-ls720zv8-twrp.7z.md5

Note this is a backup using TWRP, not an installable zip.

Upvote 0
I haven't had any problems with the freedompop messaging app on either build. You could just set sip up in the stock cm11 dialer in advanced settings. You get the username and password by using asqlitemanager. Open up the freedompop messaging database, located in /data/data. Open the db with the asql manager and it will give the account and password, plug that into the sip advanced settings in the dialer and the server is fp.layered.net. Leave it as tcp, I tried udp and it lags and sometimes i dont get calls. tcp calls out instantly and receives all call. You have to put a 1 and the area code in when dialing out though.

The freedompop messaging app sucks majorly. It has crashed on my, been stuck in a phone call without being able to hang up and I've had no audio, in or out, this was on the stock freedompop rom.

There is no texting ability with the stock dialer though, I use zoiper for that. In fact, you can use zoiper for calls and texts with the same freedompop server, account and password settings. Need any help, just let me know. I have like 10 freedompop accounts, I can switch between all of them with the stock cm11 dialer or zoiper with ease and can receive and make calls on all of them. I can only text with zoiper or hangouts though. I stay clear of all the freedompop apps, they really suck and are buggy as hell.

I would only use the virginmobile cm11 build, there's no root on the carbonrom build, or at least it doesn't stick after a reboot.

The stock cm11 dialer is so much better than the freedompop crap, and I text through zoiper, which is free and uses the same freedompop number. If you have any questions about the database stuff, let me know. You have to have root, in order to access it through asqlitemanager. You could just copy it from a file manager and put it in downloads or something, then open it with asqlitemanager. Then copy and paste the account and password fields into the username and password fields of the stock or zoiper dialers. I would uninstall the freedompop messaging app also, so there are no conflicts (it usually wants to take over the stock dialer and stock texting).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@CronScript1
I reinstalled the original shipped ROM. I have put a copy of the FreedomPop ls720zv8 ROM in my Dropbox. It is nearly stock, but may have some of the original shipped apps deleted as I did a factory reset on it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87780569/freedompop-ls720zv8-twrp.7z
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87780569/freedompop-ls720zv8-twrp.7z.md5
Note this is a backup using TWRP, not an installable zip.
Everytime I try and download the ROM from your dropbox it fails. Are those links still valid?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones