• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Fresh 3.4 and FM radio

theTrashcanMan

May 3, 2010
Downtown to hell
Hi all, I've got a quick question. I'm running Fresh 3.4 on my phone and want to install the FM radio on it. I know that I've got to push it from adb, but I'm not exactly sure how. I'm still a little bit new to all of this and don't want to screw things up. If somebody could give me a quick explanation I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Well unless things have changed since I last used fresh, you should have a folder on your sd card called "fresh-removed-apks" or something like that. In that folder you should be able to find the fm radio apk you are looking for. You can install it from there using any number of apk installing programs. A lot of people use astro, but I use an app called "appInstaller" usually. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
I don't think you can just install it since it probably needs to go to /system/app. You should be able to do it a little easier if you install root explorer, go to /system/app, mount it as rw, then copy the apk from the removed directory to the /system/app directory. I seem to recall that not working for some people, but that's probably how you'll have to go about it

Upvote 0
Well unless things have changed since I last used fresh, you should have a folder on your sd card called "fresh-removed-apks" or something like that. In that folder you should be able to find the fm radio apk you are looking for. You can install it from there using any number of apk installing programs. A lot of people use astro, but I use an app called "appInstaller" usually. Hope that helps.

I think he may be referring to the "other" fm radio that works without headphones...

but I could be wrong. I have been meaning to check into that.

otherwise yes, the apks in that folder usually will install simply by using a file manager

other system apks must be put into a flashable zip and run from recovery or pushed

Upvote 0
I'm talking about the original FM radio app from HTC, nothing fancy. The apks are located on the sd card when you flash fresh but, from what I've read, the FM radio and the stock apps cannot be installed the normal way. You've got to either buy Root manager, which I don't really want to do, or use adb to push, which is the most attractive option to me because it is free and because everytime I do something like this I learn a little more and become a little better at this. So...if some kind soul would post the directions on how to do so, I can open a command prompt in the SDK tools folder so starting there would be fine, I would much appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Ok, well I've tried numerous times with the FM Radio app using ES, Astro and Linda and CANNOT get it to install using those methods. Call it curiosity, call it ignorance or call it plain stubbornness...if someone could please give me instructions on how to push an apk using ADB I would really really really appreciate it.
Thanks....

try reading [GUIDE] ADB, Fastboot, and Nandroid for Noobs - xda-developers and Basic adb/shell commands for noobs - xda-developers

I ended up pushing the FM radio app to my system/apps and it still does not work, i kept getting force closes. I installed tunein radio as an alternative, i suggest you save the trouble and go with that lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones