FRG83D Just Installed

Last Updated:

1. cwcheese

cwcheese Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have not been following the forum for a few weeks so I was caught unaware 10 minutes ago (10:10pm PST) when a system update delivered FRG83D to my Droid. Does anyone have an idea what is in this release? I saw something about GMail and Exchange fixes on the little blurb dialog box, but haven't seen anything else. Does it fix the memory problem that slows the homescreen refresh?

--cwl B-)

Advertisement
  2. rparra14

rparra14 Active Member

I just got a message also about the upgrade on my phone as well. I am rooted with stock OS. I don't know if it will kill my root or not. I'm going to hold out until I know better.

-Ryan

3. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

4. bleedGreen

bleedGreen Well-Known Member

Anyone have a manual update yet???

5. timhow

timhow Member

I've got the update waiting on my phone if someone knows where the install file is located. I can't seem to find it.

6. OnRunning

OnRunning Member

cwcheese: i got it last night around the midnight and updated it. i am not rooted. i have not notice much of a difference but the phone does seem to operate quicker. the home screen loading problem is much better which is my only complaint. my would take ten seconds and now its about 2 seconds.

7. Lock-N-Load

it is talked about here on the forums someplace, you might search for it as I cannot recall off the top of my head. Maybe try to search for it, if I can find the step by step, I will post it back up here.

8. Poloki

Poloki Well-Known Member Contributor

My Dad just called me to tell me that his Droid just updated to FRG83D no problem.

9. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

Please keep in mind that this update will only bring you to 2.2.1, which has been out for quite some time now.

This is not an update to introduce 2.3 to the Droid. This update basically has a few fixes to some functionality and that is about it.

Kratos

10. Namrepus221

Namrepus221 Active Member

Are they rolling this out like they did froyo? Only a certain ammount of people get it per day till everyone gets it or is the update small enought that they just released it to the wild en masse?

Asking cause I haven't got mine yet.

11. cwcheese

cwcheese Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yes, I have noticed the return to homescreen is faster, only once did I have to wait more than 5 seconds; each time seems to be under 1 second. And apps seem to kick in faster, so perhaps these are incremental fixes to memory usage.

12. Fifty9Dunes

Fifty9Dunes Member

How about an update.zip...anyone??? I've been waiting months for this as I haven't been able to sync w/Exchange after our SP1 upgrade @ work - I'm rooted and could really use the manual file.

Thanks in advance!!!

13. Lock-N-Load

read post #3

14. Fifty9Dunes

Fifty9Dunes Member

Thanks, but that's the 2.2.1 that leaked in Nov. (FRG83)

I'm looking for the official release update.zip (FRG83D) that just came out.

Yes, I know I'll lose root - I don't care either as my phone needs to work with corporate email first and foremost.

15. timhow

timhow Member

I'm still looking for the file on my phone. Says it's downloaded and ready to install. I'll be damned if I can find it though.

16. Lock-N-Load

I know for a fact it is posted here somewhere exactly how to do it, I just can't seem to find it. maybe send a PM to OMJ or Kratos as they might know where the "how to" details are on the forums.

17. timhow

timhow Member

I sent Kratos a PM.

All I could find by searching the forum is a post by OMJ saying the file is normally in the /cache folder but my folder is empty.

18. kratos

We are currently working to pull the .zip and get it hosted.

More info soon.

Kratos

19. publicanimal

publicanimal Well-Known Member

Funny, I used to get so excited about these updates. Now I'm running ROMs that are light years beyond this update.

20. DDG

DDG Well-Known Member

Will the upgrade to the Exchange sync force us to have to enter a PIN everytime we take to phone out of sleep/screen saver mode like the D2 and Dx?

I hated that feature of the last update and was able to get or IT people to program our server around it for me. They have been unable to do anything for the D2 users.

21. kratos

22. Hidgerson

Hidgerson New Member

Just got the update this morning, and the build number is now FRG83D. But I'm not seeing any differences at all -- no difference in the Gmail, no new Amazon widget. Are the differences just incredibly subtle, or is something not right? Thanks for any help.

23. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

24. bigbee

bigbee Well-Known Member

I received the notification and applied the 2.2.1 update this morning. The News & Weather widget seems the same, and I can't find any trace of a new Amazon widget. As far as I can tell, the Twitter and Gmail apps are identical to the latest versions from the Market. Unless you are waiting for a specific bug fix, I certainly would not bother rushing to do the manual update.

Tylerc66 likes this.
  25. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

It's unlikely that you'll notice any obvious improvements to the Twitter client. Maybe better push notifications as they've been spotty lately. The N&W widget may be improved, again with updating things like news and weather. Since those have been inconsistent. Haven't you noticed before the update the widget would have issues updating? At least on mine, it did. And the Amazon app is improved, but there is no widget. Other than that, Active Sync and other enterprise goodies should be packaged in there as well. Again, probably not something glaringly obvious. It's a modest update, not revolutionary.