• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

From HTC Support - Patches waiting on Sprint's Approval

+2

But my battery does drain when im on a call
wait never mind that was my TP1 LOL

Have you noticed that people are still bashing this phone/UI like its the final version of the firmware?

Everyone seems to think that its the hardware thats so laggy... but if everyone just relaxes, takes a breather, and stops calling their user problems "bugs and flaws" we (as a community) might be able to make something out of this phone.

Upvote 0
Hopefully the patch will be out sometime this month with 2.0 on the horizon early next year, would still like to know what exactly they plan to patch though :(. I think you should look again mate, 2.0 looks great on it's own, and with Sense UI it's bound to be the best looking android interface available(not that it already isn't :))

Upvote 0
After that, 2.0. Hopefully, by using a version of Android that is actually compatible with CDMA, it will work better. :)

Hopefully this will be a big relief on the battery and could be the reason why the "work-around" for sms issue still doesn't seem to increase battery life by much margin. It would make sense that Cupcake being that it wasn't specifically designed to run on CDMA could be a direct cause for such short battery life since we all know CDMA requires more battery juice to keep the phone active on the network as compared to GSM. Therefore Eclair which was designed with CDMA in mind should have built in energy managing capabilities that allow it to run on CDMA without sucking the battery.

Upvote 0
I just checked to see if maybe Sprint snuck in a firmware update and instead of the stock no firmware update available window I got this message:

"The firmware update could not be completed. Please try again later. If the problem persists, you may need to contact Customer Service Error code:1012".

Interesting...

Upvote 0
I just checked to see if maybe Sprint snuck in a firmware update and instead of the stock no firmware update available window I got this message:

"The firmware update could not be completed. Please try again later. If the problem persists, you may need to contact Customer Service Error code:1012".

Interesting...

Mine still says no update available... so I don't think there's much to that.

Upvote 0

Interesting...
mine says that too. probably means that its unable to connect to the update server.

Upvote 0
If there was a update I'm sure someone at Sprint would have announced it guys, the Sprint forums are full of people hounding them for a update so we'll probably know before it comes out. We all want a update but it's not available now, but I don't think the error your seeing is the result of a update, Sprints data services have been in and out for awhile now(not sure if it's regional or the whole network?) so that might be the cause of your error message.

Upvote 0
Same here. I use BT alot..... I also had to reset my device to factory default today as I could not send text messages.

I'm considering breaking my BT headphones back out with the expected result of having to hard reset the phone if I do so, but I really need the things... I just wish someone knew of workaround that let me avoid the issue, even if it was tedious! (hell, I'm already accepting a mandatory eventual hard-reset)

Upvote 0
I'd say it be harder to get the Hero to go from Sense UI 1.5 > Stock Android 2.0, considering they would have to someone make the Hero forget it ever had the Sense UI, I guess they could patch out the Sense UI but that's boring lol. I merely brought up the Droid because from a new smartphone shopper view the Hero seems outdated, coming out less than a month earlier than the Droid with a already old OS, and with the Droid on 2.0 it makes the Hero look even more outdated... so I think HTC is really pushing 2.0 on the Hero after all they haven't announced it on any other android phone yet have they? This looks like good new for the future, hopefully they really see the Hero as one of their "flagship" devices and will keep it near the top of the priority list for updates :)
I think the Hero will be AWSOME with the 2.0.... to be honest Im not that impressed with the Droid. It's ugly for starters. If the updates come like we think. The Hero will last me a year and then I will upgrade. But for now. I think it rocks. Even with it's bugy and laggy issues at times. Since we are with Sprint we can upgrade every year. So, does 2.0 really matter. Sprint will have something better by then anyway. But still cant wait tho!

Upvote 0
Hopefully this will be a big relief on the battery and could be the reason why the "work-around" for sms issue still doesn't seem to increase battery life by much margin. It would make sense that Cupcake being that it wasn't specifically designed to run on CDMA could be a direct cause for such short battery life since we all know CDMA requires more battery juice to keep the phone active on the network as compared to GSM. Therefore Eclair which was designed with CDMA in mind should have built in energy managing capabilities that allow it to run on CDMA without sucking the battery.

My phone will go a day now, no problem. I have Handcent installed and pretty much everything else working without things turned off like GPS or always on data. Blows the Pre away.

As for CDMA taking more juice than GSM, it does... sorta. EDGE GSM service was pretty battery friendly compared to CDMA, but 3G GSM (WCDMA) is about as power hungry as standard CDMA on Sprint/Verizon, as they are basically the same thing.

Upvote 0
For a lot of people 2.0 makes a huge difference. For me personally it made the difference whether or not I was going to keep the Hero. I wasn't calling the Droid better than the Hero, but to a consumer it looks a lot better simply just with everything 2.0 brings in terms of features, performance, and the overall usability it gives Android as a personal/work/everything phone. All I'm saying is with 2.0 running as smoothly has it is on the Droid and a CDMA network, more pressure is on Sprint and particularly HTC to update the Hero seeing it has already become a top selling Android device. Now I personally have been feeling the Hero is outdated because 2.0 and in ways even 1.6 are such big improvements, but I don't feel it makes the phone unusable, I just feel it will be drastically better when it gets updated to a better and more refined version of Android, and hopefully HTC won't keep us in the past too much longer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones