• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo 2.2 Hummingbird vs Froyo 2.2 Scorpion REAL WORLD RESULTS?

SamsungVibrant

Android Expert
Jul 23, 2010
Okay, I'm wondering if anyone here feels like comparing phones and making a video for the rest of us. I know the Galaxy S starting recieving the official Froyo 2.2 update.

Here is the deal. It appears that the Froyo 2.2 JIT compiler is not giving the Hummingbird processor the CPU performance gains. this is evident on Quadrant Professional, which breaks down the score and shows you the individual CPU performance. 1st and 2nd generation Scorpions are getting huge CPU score gains according to Quadrant.

So here is the problem, some people don't believe in benchmarking. Some say Quadrant is not accurate or reflective of real world results.

So, does anyone here, with a Galaxy S running Official Froyo happen to also own a 2nd generation Scorpion phone, and is willing to make a video comparing the cpu performance using real world techniques, then post the video here?

I'm really curious to get to the bottom of this JIT compiler issue, maybe it's Quadrant giving false numbers, either way, it would be great to have a real world comparison video. Maybe you can launch cpu intensive apps, open Adobe documents, stuff like that, at the same time on both phones, and let us see which 2.2 chip is running faster. I guess throwing in a Galaxy S, running 2.1 as a control would also help.

Thanks

Anyone who now has the official Froyo on their phone, and access to one of the newer generation Scorpion Froyo phones mind making this video?
Or maybe if you have 2 Galaxy S phones, one with 2.2 the other still with 2.1, you can make a video showing real world performance, app launch times, etc?

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones