• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo Quadrant scores, why is Humming bird doing so bad?

I will do! im uploading a gps comparison video right now for you guys! this is my first time doing a review so please excuse the crappyness of it!

Hey Ghost, Can you do the following. Start up Angry Birds at the same time, lets see which loads faster. DO the same with Google Earth. I found G2 loads faster but Earth runs much smoother on Vibrant, would like to see your comparison on this also.

Also try loading a bunch of other apps, lets see which phone loads Aps faster!

For those of us who like benchmarks, try running these ones on both phones:
http://androidforums.com/samsung-vi...-linpack-neocore-benchmarkpi-scores-phew.html

Upvote 0
Hey Ghost, Can you do the following. Start up Angry Birds at the same time, lets see which loads faster. DO the same with Google Earth. I found G2 loads faster but Earth runs much smoother on Vibrant, would like to see your comparison on this also.

Also try loading a bunch of other apps, lets see which phone loads Aps faster!

How about doing the same test with lag fix applied to the Vibrant? I'm curious if there's a real world gain in performance of that fix.

Upvote 0
Pretty certain the real world gain from the lagfix is mostly when your phone perform writes, which is why it affected mainly Quadrant since I/O is a huge chuck in their score. I highly doubt it'll affect most of the apps he listed as they're mostly just benchmarking the CPU/GPU.

Make no mistake. The real world gain from this alone is huge from just ridding yourself of RFS that Samsung decided to throw on their phones.

Upvote 0
Pretty certain the real world gain from the lagfix is mostly when your phone perform writes. So I highly doubt it'll affect most of the apps he listed as they're mostly just benchmarking the CPU/GPU.

Make no mistake. The real world gain from this alone is huge from just ridding yourself of RFS that Samsung decided to throw on their phones.

Well lets test writes also, maybe you can provide a real world way to test this for Ghost to try.

Upvote 0
Everyone is overclocking their G2's to 1.42 ghz. without a hitch, including myself. Performance is pretty nice. :D

I've seen significant improvements in all of my benchmarks.

But the only score I know off the top of my head is a 2469 Quadrant. Yes I know, horrible benchmark for real-world.. but that score did go up quite a bit from the stock speed, as did everything else.

For all of you who like to tweak, the G2 is a BEAST phone. And the build quality of HTC is all there.

I personally love the weight of the phone, and the strong build quality.

I think alot of people will be changing their tune about this phone pretty soon.

Upvote 0
the galaxy s lineup was the fastest and most powerful phone on the market for a few months. it's only inevitable that something more powerful will come out. if you can afford it, just by the next best thing to release. if you renew with your contract, then wait until your contract is up. by the time your contract is up, you'll be upgrading to a quad core processor. or at least that's what i'm thinking, considering how fast phones are changing. as for me, if my next phone's not running the android os, it's going to be running windows phone 7!

Upvote 0
the galaxy s lineup was the fastest and most powerful phone on the market for a few months. it's only inevitable that something more powerful will come out. if you can afford it, just by the next best thing to release. if you renew with your contract, then wait until your contract is up. by the time your contract is up, you'll be upgrading to a quad core processor. or at least that's what i'm thinking, considering how fast phones are changing. as for me, if my next phone's not running the android os, it's going to be running windows phone 7!
^ This. Great run while it lasted guys ;).

I think the G2 is faster but the upgrade isn't so much that a warranted is needed since I think the performance is similar, albeit less in performance.

Upvote 0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVORX-ZFblA

I will have a comparison of the G2 and Vibrant soon. How come the Vibrant hasn't been overclocked past 1.2Ghz but I hear the Fascinate has been OC'd to 1.6Ghz?

If the Vibrant had stock android I believe it would be the fastest phone on the market but Touchwiz bottlenecks it. 2.2 doesn't see a massive speed boost because the OS still has that funky proprietary file system and doesn't properly use the JIT compiler. Even the Droid X didn't see a big increase from 2.1 to 2.2, I don't think it's the hardware.

Upvote 0
I will have a comparison of the G2 and Vibrant soon. How come the Vibrant hasn't been overclocked past 1.2Ghz but I hear the Fascinate has been OC'd to 1.6Ghz?

If the Vibrant had stock android I believe it would be the fastest phone on the market but Touchwiz bottlenecks it. 2.2 doesn't see a massive speed boost because the OS still has that funky proprietary file system and doesn't properly use the JIT compiler. Even the Droid X didn't see a big increase from 2.1 to 2.2, I don't think it's the hardware.

Is that you speaking in the video?

Upvote 0
Face Off T-Mobile?s HTC G2 Vs T-Mobile?s Samsung Vibrant | SmartPhone Envy

I would like to see something like what's on this link but more in depth. From my experience of using the g2 for a day, I feel the vibrant scrolls smoother. The g2 definitely opens some apps slightly faster. It seems that the g2 is better with some apps and the vibrant with others. The web browser and and google earth were a smoother experience on the vibrant for example. The market and gmail were a smoother experience on the g2.

Upvote 0
Personally i feel the G2 scrolls better, opens things faster, and loads apps/games faster. My two cents after using the phone for 3 days now.

That's IF it stays running long enough to scroll or game right? Is that with the battery in or out? :p
smilielol5.gif

http://androidforums.com/1777228-post19.html

Upvote 0
Face Off T-Mobile?s HTC G2 Vs T-Mobile?s Samsung Vibrant | SmartPhone Envy

I would like to see something like what's on this link but more in depth. From my experience of using the g2 for a day, I feel the vibrant scrolls smoother. The g2 definitely opens some apps slightly faster. It seems that the g2 is better with some apps and the vibrant with others. The web browser and and google earth were a smoother experience on the vibrant for example. The market and gmail were a smoother experience on the g2.
Nice comparison. The speeds arent very far off from one another. Certainly not something that would be bothersome. Hopefully when the Vibrant gets 2.2 it will be even quicker. Hec the GPS didnt even do bad there and the OTA update isnt installed on that one or there would be a mic on the Swype keyboard.

I dont understand why if they put a virtual keyboard on a phone, why they would also add an actual keyboard to make the phone thicker and heavier but thats just me.

Vibrants pictures and video imo from those is a lot better than the G2 which is a huge plus to me.

Not a bad phone(G2), i just have no interest in one. The Vibrant is great. Just wish Samsung and T-Mobile could get things worked out a little quicker.

Upvote 0
LOL ok "stupid fast" made me laugh.

I still don't see how the heck it went from 800 to 1.4, thats a huge increase. Is your battery life terrible or ok? I wanna overclock my vibrant just for fun now!
Nope. Battery life is exactly the same! Still getting around ~14 hours with heavy usage.

It's how computer hardware works. In theory, we could probably overclock the processor to 2.5Ghz but it would get extremely hot and probably melt. At that speed the phone wouldn't even be stable. You can overclock a processor well beyond it's stock speed but certain processors can only go so far before they become unstable. The MSM7230 can go surprisingly far and still be stable. Some users are even reporting that their G2's are stable at 1.6Ghz.

Upvote 0
Nope. Battery life is exactly the same! Still getting around ~14 hours with heavy usage.

It's how computer hardware works. In theory, we could probably overclock the processor to 2.5Ghz but it would get extremely hot and probably melt. At that speed the phone wouldn't even be stable. You can overclock a processor well beyond it's stock speed but certain processors can only go so far before they become unstable. The MSM7230 can go surprisingly far and still be stable. Some users are even reporting that their G2's are stable at 1.6Ghz.

Roughly speaking the way physics works is the higher the CPU clock speed the more heat, and the more heat the more battery drain. :) I'm pretty sure these phones aren't defying the laws of thermodynamics.

Just out of curiosity try using the app Android System Info. Under the System tab expand the CPU info. There's a display at the bottom showing what percent of the time the CPU is working at which clock speed. What could be happening is your max speed is higher, but the vast majority of CPU use is at lower speeds, and thus battery use isn't impacted that much. Nice trade-off if true.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones