• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories FTW: Incredible Wireless Inductive Charging Dock!

garet

Lurker
Jun 23, 2011
Hello everybody. I'm a long time lurker but thought I'd post a few notes on a recent successful project that I'm very pleased with. I'll share more if there is interest in the thread.

Problem: There are no docks (desktop or car) that will charge the Incredible without a separate cable. I didn't want to plug/unplug my phone constantly (once or twice a day) anymore.

Solution: Palm makes a very good looking magnetic dock for their 'Pre' models called Touchstone. Verizon sells the Touchstone for $5, the micro usb cable that goes with it (tho you can probably hack most any to work) for $5 and the phone kit runs about $10.. This guy gave me the inspiration to solder it in to my Incredible: Borntechie : One stop shop for tips, tricks and hacks galoret/

For about two weeks, I prototyped this solution the same way he did in his videos, using a micro usb head, which I covered in shrink tube. Once satisfied that I wasn't going to ruin my battery and phone, I found the appropriate solder points on the Incredible's motherboard and its all internal now. The coil from the Palm phone lays between the factory shell and my battery, barely adds any thickness to the phone and my case still fits perfectly.

Now I have wireless desk charging. It's beautiful and works well. I haven't compared the time required to charge to using just a cable, but since it is now more convenient to charge, I don't really mind if there are inefficiencies (tho the voltage and amps are the same as on the wire). I can of course still use cables for charging/data transfer.

The phone and dock both look completely stock. If anybody is interested, I'm sure I could be convinced to post some pictures and where exactly to solder, but its really easy so if you're reasonably confident just pony up.

My next project is to install the second dock piece I bought in my car. I don't trust the magnets to hold the Incredible in a moving car, as its heavier than a Palm Pre, so I'm going to attempt the build in an Archon universal mount on my vent (the induction charger does produce some extra heat).

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas for a v2?

Parts list, cheapest through Verizon but also available elsewhere:
$5 Palm Touchstone
$3 Palm Touchstone phone kit (get your exacto blade ready, this is not identical to the one I bought but I assume the electronics inside are the same)
$5 Palm micro usb (has a specifically shaped micro usb head that fits the touchstone, a standard cable could be made to work tho)

Takes about 30 mins + a soldering iron + web access if you want to look up dis assembly instructions.

Once in my car, the bluetooth starts up the 'car mode' launcher application which is acceptable but not great. Anybody have an alternative to that crap?

Thanks for reading.

I just found this on youtube, shows it working but doesn't help you do the trick yourself. YouTube - ‪Droid Incredible Wireless Charging (and instructions link)‬‏

Looks like the useful info is where exactly to solder so I'll need a torx wrench and another camera in order to get pics. I haven't managed to find a clear diagram on the intertubes yet but if anybody can point me to one, I'll highlight the points.

I found them using the micro usb head and a continuity tester.

The two points you want are right near the micro usb jack, I soldered to the jack itself for the positive wire but it would have been easier to use the tiny accessible testing point (looks like a copper pin head) as there was less surrounding electronics to accidentally bridge to.

This operation requires that you unscrew the board which is blocked by a warranty sticker. If you took the time, you can probably gently remove it with an exacto blade and replace the sticker when finished but I didn't bother.

Upvote 0
I would love to try this, but I don't buy that it fits under the stock battery cover. I have the 1500 hd2 battery and my back cover creaks when pushing the trackpad.

Can anyone give any more info as to how this fits? I would also like to know if the base can be broken down any? I would like to incorporate it into my pro fit car mount.

Upvote 0
I am using the stock battery and phone back without any problems.

It does indeed add to the thickness but it doesn't even perceivable bulge in the back, it just feels a bit tighter. I was able to feel the back cover shift before adding this palm unit but it is more rigid now and slightly more difficult to snap on. I prefer it not shifting/creaking so this is a value add for me.

Did you check out the page DrDoom linked? I think it has pictures/videos of all of this. Not sure if your larger battery will impact its fit.

Regarding the car install, I've given up on that after disassembling a base unit. Its has too many bulky metal pieces for me to be able to get it in to my universal archon car mount... And the magnet in the base is not strong enough to hold on to the heavier Incredible, so if you hit a significant bump or brake quickly the phone will fall off.

If anybody has any ideas about or links to a solution to the palm dock in a car problem, I'd be interested. I've toyed with the idea of using larger/stronger magnets but not sure how I'd implement that. (Maybe recycle the rare earth magnets from some dead hard drive...)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones