• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Future OS pgrade without flashing ROM!?

I don't get it, possibly this thread http://androidforums.com/android-news-talk/247692-hd2-receives-its-first-nand-android-rom.html means future OS upgrades could become very much simpler. One would possibly just drag an OS upgrade file either to RAM or to SDcard, and then just boot up again!

With everybody (well...) making a fuzz about this-and-this device not having received an os update yet, I'm astounded nobody comments the above thread.

Or maybe I've just missunderstood the whole thing

It just means that upgrades can be done like an OTA, because the recovery partition now has the Android OS. From how I understand it, the HD2, being a Windows Phone, had WinMo 6.5 on the recovery partition, and Android as a 2nd bootable OS. It could only receive an OTA for WinMo. But now, you can install Android as a custom ROM and not a separate OS, much how we currently load Android custom ROMS on our phones.

But again, that's just my understanding of it.

Upvote 0
Thanks Medion for giving some response!
I believe you understand the news quite well! And the present application of the technology is very specific.

However, as a side effect, they've managed to load the entire OS from RAM memory. Which (perhaps) opens the possibility of very simple "drag-and-drop" uppdating of (other) Android devices.

The idea of flashing a new ROM to my expensive Desire, effectively changing the hardware, makes at least me feel uneasy.

Just experimenting with pure software variations, containing a RAM-loaded "ROM-image", always beeing able to revert to the original ROM, would feel less risky business to me.

I've got a cheap (120USD) chineese 7" tablet, where I will try flashing a new ROM, to get Market access. For this affordable thing, I might try uppdating the OS in the future. (It's running2.1) Problem there is, I don't know how to identify a suitable ROM, since it's only been branded with a Swedish electronics shop-chains own brand.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones