G1 SMS Notification ToneGeneral

Last Updated:

1. SnoWake

SnoWake Member This Topic's Starter

Greetings, friends-

I'm just curious if I'm missing something obvious. Is it possible to set a unique notification tone for SMS messages, specifically? I have found the following:

Menu -> Settings -> Sound & display -> Notification ringtone

So, I can change this value - but it seems to effect (not surprisingly) ALL notifications: new email, SMS, etc. I'm very interested in (and expecting) the ability to set unique tones for various notification 'types'.

What I'd REALLY like is to even set unique notification tones by SENDER (like unique ringtones for incoming calls) - but I can live without that. But not being able to differentiate between an SMS message and an email? Unacceptable. If I can't do it with the default settings - is there a 3rd party app that allows me this flexibility?

Thanks!
    Billy

Advertisement
    plpblack likes this.
  2. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

Open the Messaging App.

Menu>Settings, scroll down to the bottom to the notification settings, you can set up your ringtone there.

3. pcchameleon

pcchameleon Member

But appears you can only use a set of preload notifications unlike the ringtones for calls...any way to use ones from outside of the list?

4. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

Yes you just have to set up the right file structure on the SD card.

Move everything off the card first, you're going to format it. This tends to not work if you don't format. I don't know why.

Assuming you connected your phone to your PC, it shows up as a drive. Right click that drive and do a quick format.

When it's done create three folders in the main part of the SD Card (don't make these subfolders of something else) with these exact names:

alarms
    notifications
    ringtones

Drop any mp3s you want to use in the appropriate folder.

Disconnect the phone

Now go into messaging then settings and scroll down to change notifications.

If you were already in the list of ringtones, back button out of it. If you are in the list and add new ringtones, they won't show up until you back out of the list, wait a few seconds to a minute, and then go back into that list to select your ringtone.

plpblack likes this.
  5. wankster

wankster Member

The ringdroind app helps immensely with this because you can cut and select a small portion of a sound to act as a SMS notification

plpblack likes this.
  6. scholaryoshi

scholaryoshi New Member

Thanks a lot punkzanyj that info was very useful. :eek:
    Now i have the star trek communicator sound set as my default message tone:D

7. fallen15ironman

fallen15ironman New Member

how do you take things of the sd card to the phone i just bought the phone and dont know anything

8. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

create the following folders on the sdcard ...

/sdcard/alarms
    /sdcard/notifications
    /sdcard/ringtones

then place appropriate mp3 sounds in those folders ...
    restart your phone and now those sounds should show up
    when you select what sound you would like to use ...

plpblack likes this.
  9. njayj

njayj Member

quoting the original post "What I'd REALLY like is to even set unique notification tones by SENDER"

any idea on how this is achieved. i would also like to set a unique notification tone per contact.

thanks,

enJayJ

10. danniebabe

danniebabe New Member

yea like the person above me said..i would like to be able to set different notification ringtones for different contacts :)

11. DarkTLRrider

DarkTLRrider Well-Known Member

Go to the contact select edit scroll to ringtone and set the ringtone you want then hit menu and save.

plpblack likes this.
  12. countryangel2377

countryangel2377 New Member

I have a G1... I can hear a tone when the phone rings, when I get a vm, but no sound when I get an SMS. I have double checked the volume,did a battery pull, set mp3 tones as well as the default tones on the phone. No sound! The message indicator pops up and the LED light blinks but no sound! HELP!!!!!! :(

13. lovelymaria7

lovelymaria7 New Member

JusT download Handcent sms app from the market. It will customize each contact to a different notification tone: )

plpblack likes this.