• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

G1 SMS Notification Tone

SnoWake

Nov 2, 2008
Greetings, friends-

I'm just curious if I'm missing something obvious. Is it possible to set a unique notification tone for SMS messages, specifically? I have found the following:

Menu -> Settings -> Sound & display -> Notification ringtone

So, I can change this value - but it seems to effect (not surprisingly) ALL notifications: new email, SMS, etc. I'm very interested in (and expecting) the ability to set unique tones for various notification 'types'.

What I'd REALLY like is to even set unique notification tones by SENDER (like unique ringtones for incoming calls) - but I can live without that. But not being able to differentiate between an SMS message and an email? Unacceptable. If I can't do it with the default settings - is there a 3rd party app that allows me this flexibility?

Thanks!
Billy

Reactions: plpblack
But appears you can only use a set of preload notifications unlike the ringtones for calls...any way to use ones from outside of the list?

Yes you just have to set up the right file structure on the SD card.

Move everything off the card first, you're going to format it. This tends to not work if you don't format. I don't know why.

Assuming you connected your phone to your PC, it shows up as a drive. Right click that drive and do a quick format.

When it's done create three folders in the main part of the SD Card (don't make these subfolders of something else) with these exact names:

alarms
notifications
ringtones

Drop any mp3s you want to use in the appropriate folder.

Disconnect the phone

Now go into messaging then settings and scroll down to change notifications.

If you were already in the list of ringtones, back button out of it. If you are in the list and add new ringtones, they won't show up until you back out of the list, wait a few seconds to a minute, and then go back into that list to select your ringtone.

Upvote 0
how do you take things of the sd card to the phone i just bought the phone and dont know anything

create the following folders on the sdcard ...

/sdcard/alarms
/sdcard/notifications
/sdcard/ringtones

then place appropriate mp3 sounds in those folders ...
restart your phone and now those sounds should show up
when you select what sound you would like to use ...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones