• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Note 2 Tips and FAQ's - Quick Access Thread

I'm back....so I've been watching some videos on YouTube, about the GN2. I have a few questions, and hope that this is an ok place to ask them.

First one, in some of the videos there is an app on the screen called application monitor, but Ican't find it on my device. I had the same app on my Note 10.1 and kind of liked it. I looked in the Playstore, but didn't see it.

My device is running 4.1.1 how do I get 4.1.2?

Last question for now.....on m EVO LTE, there was a soft key that would show all the open apps, and give me the option to swipe it away. Does the GN2 have a similar feature?

Thanks again.
The Application monitor can be found on Samsung apps.

Upvote 0
Just switched to a Galaxy Note 2. Always had Motorola phones before and got used to talking caller ID. I don't see any way to enable JUST talking caller ID on the Note 2 (Driving Mode also reads SMS text messages). Does anyone know of a way to enable talking caller ID on this phone without any other text being read? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Just switched to a Galaxy Note 2. Always had Motorola phones before and got used to talking caller ID. I don't see any way to enable JUST talking caller ID on the Note 2 (Driving Mode also reads SMS text messages). Does anyone know of a way to enable talking caller ID on this phone without any other text being read? Thanks.

Welcome!

Doing a quick search for "talking caller id" in Google Play came up with a few results, some are free. See if any of them work for you.

Let us know how they work.

Upvote 0
Welcome!

Doing a quick search for "talking caller id" in Google Play came up with a few results, some are free. See if any of them work for you.

Let us know how they work.
Thanks - I did see those apps before I posted (Talking Caller ID and SMS Caller ID). I was hoping that either there's a way to do it natively or maybe someone had some experience with one of those (or other similar) apps.

And thanks for the welcome :)

Upvote 0
Thanks - I did see those apps before I posted (Talking Caller ID and SMS Caller ID). I was hoping that either there's a way to do it natively or maybe someone had some experience with one of those (or other similar) apps.

And thanks for the welcome :)

There is one built in, I couldn't find it at first.

Go into Settings --> Accessibility --> Talkback --> there's an option called Speak caller ID

Upvote 0
OK going to add this here as I did not see it posted and have received a few PM's on how to get into Safe Mode, there is one discussion in her about Safe Mode, but he does not describe the process to get there.

C&P

You can start your Samsung Galaxy Note in Safe Mode to boot into Android with a default set of software. This mode is used in the event when an app has been loaded onto the phone that causes it to no longer start or function correctly. Booting in Safe Mode allows you access to start the device properly and remove the app or fix the setting that caused the problem.

1. Power the Galaxy Note off.

2. Press and hold the Power button to turn the device on.

3. Once you see the animation on the screen, continuously tap the Menu button. (Button with 3 lines below the screen)

Once the device loads the Android OS, you should see the words

Upvote 0
The same thing that can be achieved by long pressing the home button, opens up the task manager and shows you wich apps are running.

I know this is "old"; I've tried both ways, but the result is not the same. When i press and hold the home, it shows me 4 or 5 open/running apps, while on the "application monitor" only show 1 or 2. Is this normal? Which one is more accurate? If i am not wrong, I've seen on YTube, the numbers should be the same between the "app monitor" and the pressing home button.

I just tried it again; it seems that the pressing home button will show Active and Inactive applications, while on the "application monitor" app shows Active application/s Only. Simply words, when I ended all applications on "application monitor", those applications ended by application monitor still show on the pressing home button.

Upvote 0
I know this is "old"; I've tried both ways, but the result is not the same. When i press and hold the home, it shows me 4 or 5 open/running apps, while on the "application monitor" only show 1 or 2. Is this normal? Which one is more accurate? If i am not wrong, I've seen on YTube, the numbers should be the same between the "app monitor" and the pressing home button.

I just tried it again; it seems that the pressing home button will show Active and Inactive applications, while on the "application monitor" app shows Active application/s Only. Simply words, when I ended all applications on "application monitor", those applications ended by application monitor still show on the pressing home button.
Long press home shows recent apps, whether they're still running or not.

Upvote 0
OK going to add this here as I did not see it posted and have received a few PM's on how to get into Safe Mode, there is one discussion in her about Safe Mode, but he does not describe the process to get there.

Actually, for the Note 2, I found that you press the Volume Up, Down AND Power buttons simultaneously together after a complete power down of the device. Keep pressing down these buttons until the Note 2 has fully loaded and you see Safe mode on the bottom left corner of the screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones