• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy note 4 close up focus issue

Chicksac427

Lurker
Jan 21, 2015
Whenever the phone is ~2 inches away from something, it just can't hold focus on the object. If I tap the screen to focus on it, in some situations it focuses perfectly on the object, but immediately 'snaps' back to being blurry. You can see that here

Othertimes, it will do the same behaviour, but without getting to perfect focus. The phone seems to auto focus an awful lot, too, even when I'm holding it facing a blank wall, almost perfectly still, the auto focus just pops on. Which means it will go from perfect focus, to slightly blurry, back to exactly the same focus, although this happens incredibly quickly. I'm not sure if this is normal? I checked a model at carphone warehouse, and the constant auto focusing is there (So perhaps annoying, but a design feature), but the 'snap back' isn't. I think that may be just my phone?

Appreciate any help.

This could very well be dust on the exterior of your lens. Get a nice clean cloth that doesn't leave debris behind and thoroughly clean the lens, making sure you don't scratch it. Try again and see if that fixes the problem.

Speaking of scratching... if the lens is scratched that could also be the problem.

It's also possible that dust got inside the lens which probably isn't fixable without having it replaced. I'd take it into your store and ask them if they'll replace it if you absolutely cannot figure any solution out.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Whenever the phone is ~2 inches away from something, it just can't hold focus on the object. If I tap the screen to focus on it, in some situations it focuses perfectly on the object, but immediately 'snaps' back to being blurry. You can see that here

Othertimes, it will do the same behaviour, but without getting to perfect focus. The phone seems to auto focus an awful lot, too, even when I'm holding it facing a blank wall, almost perfectly still, the auto focus just pops on. Which means it will go from perfect focus, to slightly blurry, back to exactly the same focus, although this happens incredibly quickly. I'm not sure if this is normal? I checked a model at carphone warehouse, and the constant auto focusing is there (So perhaps annoying, but a design feature), but the 'snap back' isn't. I think that may be just my phone?

Appreciate any help.
might be a bad zoom lense. If you're testing that out during nite time then the focus will not be very effective in getting a good focus shot. All night time shot is not always a clear as the focus gets grainy and hard to focus on with dim light. I've try that at nite time and the focusing looks very grainy and un-perfect focus. You could tell by the way the zoom len trys to adjust itself to get a good focus and each time it adjust it gets blur. Try compare that to day time and see if it still does that or not.

Upvote 0

Appreciate any help.

i have the exact same issue... it cant focus at certain close distance. (2 inches sounds about right)

is this fixable? or do you have to replace the phone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones