• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S4 cracked UNDER screen

GalaxySIV

Lurker
Jun 29, 2014
So long story short the digitizer is broken and the entire screen is slowly losing its display. Saturday when I first saw the crack the display was fine. The screen was just unresponsive on 95% of it.

Anyways I was in South Carolina from Sunday to Friday and I live in Ohio. I took the phone into the water in a ziploc bag when I went parasailing so yes the phone was submerged but it didn't get wet. It still operated fine. So Saturday evening I'm driving and I set my phone into the cupholder. I pick it up 5 min later and it has cracks UNDER the screen branching out from the center. I am beyond confused as to how this happened. Could it of been the temperature change from South Carolina to Ohio?
1404093252052.jpg

So long story short the digitizer is broken and the entire screen is slowly losing its display. Saturday when I first saw the crack the display was fine. The screen was just unresponsive on 95% of it.

Anyways I was in South Carolina from Sunday to Friday and I live in Ohio. I took the phone into the water in a ziploc bag when I went parasailing so yes the phone was submerged but it didn't get wet. It still operated fine. So Saturday evening I'm driving and I set my phone into the cupholder. I pick it up 5 min later and it has cracks UNDER the screen branching out from the center. I am beyond confused as to how this happened. Could it of been the temperature change from South Carolina to Ohio?
View attachment 72720

Sounds like it had some type of moisture damage. Doubt it was temperature change. The unfortunate part is that the easiest, but not cheapest, way to fix the digitizer is to replace both the LCD and glass in one piece instead of trying to just get the glass off. I would also inspect under the battery and around the device to check for any type of moisture damage. I know you said it didn't get wet but it still could have gotten water damage from the area you were in

Upvote 0
Moisture didn't cause a crack. I would say that physical trauma is far the most likely explanation. The description is consistent with something pressing fairly hard against middle of the screen. It's surprising that you didn't notice this whenever it happened but it really doesn't make any difference now.

Whatever the reason for the damage, you only have one option and that is to replace the entire display, digitiser and protective glass as a unit. Unfortunately, this is expensive. In the UK this costs about

Reactions: Kelly wilson
Upvote 0
Depending on the Model, I have purchased Digitizer/screen assemblies for i9505 S4 Galaxy through Ebay AU and Trademe NZ which were sold from Hongkong and delivered to NZ for $115.00 NZD. The S4 is rated the easiest phone to disassemble and work on. Google for views on correct disassembly - Tools to do the job are supplied with the Digitizer/screen unit.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones