• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S5 Intermittent/Slow Charging

Sean Wheat

Lurker
Jan 16, 2019
About a week ago I started having issues with charging my Galaxy S5. Some water may have gotten into the charging port while I was skiing (the cover/flap is broken off). It wouldn't charge for a few days (tried another battery, still didn't work), even after cleaning it with isoprobyl alcohol, compressed air, etc etc. A day after I gave up/stopped these efforts it started charging again. However, it charges really slowly and the battery drains quickly (it drained pretty quickly before too, though)

Also, when it didn't charge it seemed to be charging intermittently (switching between charging symbol and yellow exclamation point triangle). It doesn't really do this anymore but the charging is more sensitive to the connection of the charger in the port than before.

I'm considering replacing the charging assembly but that runs the risk of damaging the screen. Also I can't check the second battery I used a while ago for a few days, but I assume the issue is still with the charging port.

Any advice for this situation?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones