• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy Tab2 7" Wireless only-no 3G

gregg1100

Android Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2012
South Wales
Hi,
Just wondering if I could put KitKat 4.4.4 on wife's Tab 2. As it has NO 3g I thought I had better ask first.
It has 4.2.2 on it at present, with just the 1GB of internal ram. The used ram is always right at the top of scale nearly, making it very slow (exactly like my S3 before rooting and romming)
Thanks,
Greg

Maybe so, but when I only had about 50-70mb of ram left to use on the S3 phone, the phone was an absolute slug.
So then when you factory reset the phone, with no crud on it, loads of ram to use, the phone is then like new, fast as hell.
Ram now between 280 and nearly 350mb spare and very quick- far better than with sammycrap on it.
Points to opposites.

Tablet came with 4.1.2. It updated itself to 4.2.2. and thats it.

Upvote 0
Actually it points to an app running wild as opposed to RAM usage woes. Plus if you mean 'quick' as in snappy response, well default Samsung animations are slow. Turning them off or lowering them enhances speed quite a bit. Same goes for HTC and Sony overlays.

As for rooting the Tab 2 and getting Kitkat on it, I'm pretty sure it's ok. I've got a Tab 3 7.0 sitting around at home with basically the same specs and it runs 4.4.2 fine.

Reactions: gregg1100
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones