• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Watch 5 options

I currently have the Galaxy Watch 5 and I have two questions:
1. How can I set cycling as an auto detect workout to automatically begin when I'm riding my bike? I previously had the Active Watch 2 and cycling would automatically start. I can't find that feature with the Watch 5. In my auto detect activities, all I see are: Run/Walk, Elliptical, Rowing machine and Dynamic Workout (really, what is that???), and they are all turned on.
2. Does anyone know if pickleball will be added to Samsung Health as a workout? I see tennis, table tennis, badminton and racquetball, but not pickleball. Which one of those should should I use to accurately record my pickleball games?
Thanks!

I currently have the Galaxy Watch 5 and I have two questions:
1. How can I set cycling as an auto detect workout to automatically begin when I'm riding my bike? I previously had the Active Watch 2 and cycling would automatically start. I can't find that feature with the Watch 5. In my auto detect activities, all I see are: Run/Walk, Elliptical, Rowing machine and Dynamic Workout (really, what is that???), and they are all turned on.

A device worn on the wrist probably can't reliably auto-detect what activity you're actually doing, as depends entirely on your wrist movements. For cycling, you're holding the handlebars of a bicycle. How can it detect that you're not holding a steering wheel driving a car? Maybe Samsung removed the cycling auto-detection because it wasn't reliable? I use a Huawei Fitness band myself, and I have to specifically select the option for what type of workout I'm doing.

2. Does anyone know if pickleball will be added to Samsung Health as a workout? I see tennis, table tennis, badminton and racquetball, but not pickleball. Which one of those should should I use to accurately record my pickleball games?
Thanks!
Never heard of it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I find out, I'll let you know because I'd like to set it to start with indoor rowing when I'm ready to get on the rower. If I find out, I'll let you know.

That sounds like a problem of a wrist worn device, trying to reliably detect the physical activity just from the wrist movements.

Galaxy Watch 5 AI: "Is my wearer on the rowing machine, or his he masturbating?" :D

Samsung

Upvote 0
A device worn on the wrist probably can't reliably auto-detect what activity you're actually doing, as depends entirely on your wrist movements. For cycling, you're holding the handlebars of a bicycle. How can it detect that you're not holding a steering wheel driving a car? Maybe Samsung removed the cycling auto-detection because it wasn't reliable? I use a Huawei Fitness band myself, and I have to specifically select the option for what type of workout I'm doing.

Never heard of it
On my previous Active Watch 2, it always accurately detected when I was on my bike; after 10 minutes of riding. I presumed it detected the speed as the difference of riding a bike vs being in a car. I had not thought that maybe Samsung removed that option. I figured the difference was the watch.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
My watch3 always thought I was cycling when I was mowing lawns with a rider mower. I made no changes to the watch or fitness app but it no longer congratulates me on a great ride after each lawn. I also cycle. I start the cycling option before I ride. It's not a big deal for me, it's just part of my pre ride check list. It would be nice if auto detect was in play but as I said, mowing was cycling to auto detect as well as bike time.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
On my previous Active Watch 2, it always accurately detected when I was on my bike; after 10 minutes of riding. I presumed it detected the speed as the difference of riding a bike vs being in a car. I had not thought that maybe Samsung removed that option. I figured the difference was the watch.

Maybe there's bad traffic in Seoul, Korea, where Samsung did their research, where cars may not drive any faster than bicycles? I've been in some cities, where sometimes you're actually travelling much faster on a bicycle, than driving a car, e.g. Beijing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My watch3 always thought I was cycling when I was mowing lawns with a rider mower. I made no changes to the watch or fitness app but it no longer congratulates me on a great ride after each lawn. I also cycle. I start the cycling option before I ride. It's not a big deal for me, it's just part of my pre ride check list. It would be nice if auto detect was in play but as I said, mowing was cycling to auto detect as well as bike time.
That's too funny! I don't cut our grass (my husband always does), so I didn't have that issue with my previous watch. :)
Yes, I also manually start my watch now, but I also start my Garmin, turn my lights on, make sure I have my water bottle, on and on and on. I was hoping having my watch on auto detect would eliminate one thing to do.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
To auto-detect several exercizes, on the watch go to Samsung HEalth, then scroll to the bottom of that screen to Settings. Under the settings screen, about half way down, you can toggle "Activities To Detect," and Cycleing is one of them.
Sorry - don't know when or if Samsung will add Pickleball! Popular around these parts for sure.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones