• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gallery Alternative

brykins

Android Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2009
Peterborough, UK
I'm sure it's been asked before but are there any good alternatives to the default Gallery/Albums app?

I have a T-Mobile G2 (HTC Hero) on 1.5 at the moment and the Albums app is such a frustration. I really can't see why the developers didn't figure out a way of navigating a tree structure?

Currently I have a lot of photos and they are stored on the SD card under a directory for year (eg 2007) then a directory for month (eg 03_march) then a directory for the event/place. It's how I store them on the desktop.

Of course, the Albums app simply shows me every single directory with photos in, so I lose the ability to navigate by year/month/etc.

I know that Astro file explorer can do what I want, but the image viewer it has is limited and simply not as nice as the Album app, and the thumbnails are too small.

Am I alone in NOT wanting to see hundred and hundreds of "albums" but rather see my photos stored how *I* want them stored?

It's very hard to brick your phone as long as you avoid flashing a radio or an SPL. As far as ROMs and kernels go, virtually nothing'll break your phone permanently: you'll just have to reflash or restore from backup.

Can't point to a step-by-step rooting guide, since the process is different for a Hero.

Upvote 0
I am *so* scared of rooting, installing new ROMs, etc, and messing things up, bricking the phone and/or not being able to access the Market, etc. Nothing I have read so far gives a simple 1..2...3 set of instructions for the whole process.

Did you read this?
http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-hero/19660-guide-installing-modaco-custom-rom.html

I found it very easy it took about 15 mins. Wiping the ROM is no biggy and I don't think there is any chance of bricking your phone. It's changing the recovery partition (which you need to do) and wiping the radio (which you don't need to do) that can brick your phone if it's interupted or you flash the wrong thing.

Using the guide above you use an app (flashrec) to flash the recovery partition so there is not much you can do wrong unless you flash a recovery for another phone (not the GSM Hero). I've never heard of anyone bricking their phone using flashrec though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones