• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Games on google play, but not on the phone google play

alpha2k

Android Expert
Nov 19, 2009
I just got a Samsung Galaxy S2, and I LOVE the phone so far.
I am on the hunt for some games, and have been looking, and noticed I can see games on google play on my pc, IE: N.O.V.A 2, but it doesn't show in google play on my phone. This happens with other stuff as well, apps, games, etc...
Am I missing a filter or setting that would block me from seeing it, or is this a google issue?

What does it tell you if you log in to the play store on the PC with your gmail account? If I do that it tells me that that app is not compatible with my phone (different model from you), so I'd not expect to see it on my phone's Play Store app.

The only requirement the Play Store on the web shows is OS version, but there are other factors (screen resolution, graphics chipset) which can make an app incompatible.

There may be other factors (such as your location), but that would be my first guess.

Upvote 0
What does it tell you if you log in to the play store on the PC with your gmail account? If I do that it tells me that that app is not compatible with my phone (different model from you), so I'd not expect to see it on my phone's Play Store app.

The only requirement the Play Store on the web shows is OS version, but there are other factors (screen resolution, graphics chipset) which can make an app incompatible.

There may be other factors (such as your location), but that would be my first guess.

Thankyou VERY much heh, that's a good way of finding out whats compatible and not.

Funny thing is though, I did a youtube search for Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4g and they show the phone playing Nova 2 HD, yet Google Play says it's not compatible with my phone Boost Mobile Samsung SPH-D710BST.

Is there a difference in the S2 models, such as Sprints is like 19xx somthing, mine is 71xx....Perhaps the video or processor difference?

I always thought Sprint and boost phones were the same, but I could be mistaken.

Upvote 0
Some developers set what devices their games are compatible with and aren't good about updating those lists for new devices.

Gameloft is a huge culprit here--I can download their newer games and on my Galaxy Nexus, but they won't let me download older games that would probably run fine.

My way of dealing with this is refusing to buy anything from Gameloft, which is easy since they're all about in app purchases now anyway.

If you really desperately want to play something though, you can root your phone and set it to pretend to be a compatible device (look it up, I think someone posted how to do it in a Gameloft thread here).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones